Eggs turning white

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MamaPish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
eggs are about 24-31 hrs old, about 8 hrs ago only a couple were white....now about 20 are, but they aren't touching...all scattered...I have left the eggs with the parents this time, but they aren't removing the dead ones and I am afraid they will all be dead before they hatch at this rate.

Should I take them out now and do the Meth Blue....or just leave them alone and let them learn from it?
They are fanning them and are very protective of them when I get near the tank.

this is there 3rd spawn...I tried to raise the 1st one....unsuccessfully, the 2nd I am got better......I have about 100 fry left, 12 days old.

Hi Mama

I find it very rare if all he eggs in a single spawn hatch. I normally expect some to turn white. These are unfertilized eggs. My discus are better at cleaning off the dead eggs than my angels are. Some times the angels lay the eggs and then leave them alone until they hatch, and only then will they pick out the hatched fry and move them.

If the parents are looking after the eggs, hold on and let them get on with it. Fertilized eggs should start to eye up soon.

Any pictures of the 12 day old fry yet?

Dolphin :teacher:

OHHHHH........so it can take that long for the unfertilized eggs to show up?

I will just sit back and wait then......

I have tried to take pics of the fry....but they are so small, I just get dark blurs....maybe in a few more days!

Thanks again Dolphin!

Hi Mama

Nice Pic's.
The fry seem to be eating well. (fat little things). As to the worm problem, I have never had major casualties due to them. If you have a dwarf gouramie add it to the tank (when the fry are too big for it to eat them). It should eat them, (the planaria that is).

I noticed some have a bit of a black like on their tails....but that is all I can tell now.

I went to bed early and got up about 3am CST and all my eggs had been eaten by the parents :( ......like I said this was their first batch I have left with them, is this normal?

Hi Mama

Sorry to hear about the eggs. Is there any thing else in the tank with them?

I have had two pairs that used to be in a 88 gal tank. Each pair had their territories at either end of the tank. At lights out the pairs would swap ends. Both pairs started to lay eggs at about the same time. As they never laid on the same day they kept swapping ends and eating each others eggs. After 4 spawns they both laid eggs on the same day. This was the first day that they never swapped ends, and after two days both pairs were looking after their newly hatched fry. From this point forward they kept to their own ends of the tank, with the middle of the tank been their battle ground. As the tank also contained 10 3” discus, 6 clown loaches and 20 neon tetras, no fry survived past 3 days of free swimming. The pairs were then moved to my new fish house to cycle the filter, (both pairs were moved with wrigglers) and put into individual tanks. And both pairs have been raising fry ever since. Occasionally one of the males will not fertilize the eggs, but they never eat the eggs, they just allow them all to go white and then clean them off the spawning cone, (tall plant pot) after about 4 days.

I would add another pair to the tank if they are by themselves, to give them the defensive instinct. But you must keep an eye on the introduced fish to make sure that they do not get too beaten up, (the original pair my kill them if the tank is too small.

In my fish house all the breeding tanks are separated from each other by lining paper between the tanks. If I think that the pair are not showing to much interest in their eggs I just pull the sheet of paper out, and let them see the pair in the next tank. This then starts the defensive instinct, and they then start fanning the eggs again.

Hope this helps

Most reactions

trending

Back