Eggs or constipation?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sunnyspots

Fishaholic
Reaction score

This female has been repeatedly cajoled into entering the heater vents but doesn't lay any eggs. Is it because she can't? Do I need to do something? I tried peas in case she is constipated (another fish from the shop was) but she won't eat them.

Is this a youtube video? I can't see it because my dad blocked youtube due to distraction issues. Can you explain it to me @Sunnyspots ?

Um. How about a couple of pics? @Tacocat
20210703_035423.jpg
20210703_035455.jpg

Females can have quite a big belly but she does look a bit on the large side. Mine never looked quite that big. I would keep an eye on her in case it's not being egg bound.

Have you ever seen her poop? If it's white and stringy, that indicates intestinal parasites, but normal poop is OK.

Females can have quite a big belly but she does look a bit on the large side. Mine never looked quite that big. I would keep an eye on her in case it's not being egg bound.

Have you ever seen her poop? If it's white and stringy, that indicates intestinal parasites, but normal poop is OK.
Thank you Essjay. I've not seen her poo so don't know what it looks like. The gourami I took back did a looong one which I gather indicates constipation so I wondered if Florence had it too. If she is egg bound is there anything I can do about it? Conversely, if she is constipated is there anything I can do about that?

Last edited:
Egg bound fish usually either release them with or without a male, or reabsorb them.

If the male has been paying attention to her, that could stimulate eggs production. I read somewhere that the reason male gouramis chase females is to stimulate eggs production (though whether this is true, I don't know). If the male suddenly disappears and the female gets thinner, you'll know they have spawned.

The fish in the video are trying to breed but don't have a suitable spawning site. Get some 2-4 inch lengths of 1/2 inch & 1 inch diameter pvc pipe and lay the pipe on the substrate, they will spawn in the pipe.

The pipe I used wouldn't stay on the bottom, it floated. I had some spare pieces of slate so I siliconed a length of tubing to one to weight it down. This does need 48 hours to cure though. I also had them spawn in a tiny plant pot on its side - about 1 inch across the open end.

These fish like tight spaces so use anything you can find that will sink.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back