Eggs Found!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DogFish212463

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So got up this morning, went to classes, came back and the timer kicked the light on at noon. From my desk I saw what looked like bubbles on the glass of my tank, I walk up, and it's a bunch of scattered eggs on the glass. They're somewhat clear, more on the opaque side. I haven't touched them, moved them or anything. Nobody is really hanging around the eggs, or eating them. They're near the top of the tank, only in that one area.

Inhabitants:
Cory Cat
Hillstream Loach
Emerald Eye Rasbora
Marble Hatchetfish
Zebra Danio
GloFish Tetras

Tank Size: 20g
Parameters are all stable and healthy.
About 15 fish in there.
Picture following. It looks a little more blue than it should be, my tank light is blue, I tried to correct it as best I can with Photoshop.
2014-01-21141548small.jpg

Corys usually lay there eggs on the glass near water with a good circulation

Likley cory eggs as most of the rest are egg scatterers except for the loaches who are substrate spawners (rocky type gravel/bottom).

I've only got one cory in the tank right now, came from my smaller tank, and I haven't had the opportunity to get tankmates.

I'd say Cory eggs too ... Weird if you only have the one though

Well, there is certainly good circulation there, my bubbler is really close to it. I've only got the one cory in that tank, and no other eggs in the tank that I can see (Ijust checked again).

If you have a lone female, the eggs wont be fertile. The same for any other of the fish. How many hillstreams have you got? Maybe they went on the glass? And upon closer inspection I see eyes (black dots) in many of those eggs I think, which would indicate they are fertile. Hmmmm

Only one loach, most of the eggs are gone today, they've been eaten while I was in classes. My other loach passed away a month or so ago, I assume of old age, had it for a very long time. The one I have is fairly young and small right now, I got it acouple weeks before christmas, and I'm not sure if it's male or female. If you know any way to sex a hillstream I'd love to know! Anyway, the rest of the eggs are likely to be picked off in the next hour or so, only about a dozen left. Thanks for your help!

What usually happens to most spawns in a a community tank. Eggs, wigglers and newly frew swimming fry are always on the menu.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back