Eggs... empty?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

outofwater

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Female just laid them, and promptly tried to eat them too.

What do you think of them... do they look like duds?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220204_190830.jpg
    20220204_190830.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 55
I am far from a Cory expert, however:

My Cory did the same a few days ago (first time for me), looked identical to yours. Pretty sure they are duds.

I'm curious as to why in both of our cases.

What sort of fish are in the tank?
Do you have males & females of each species?

Lots of fish eggs start out clear and don't show any developing embryo for a few days. Move them into a container of tank water and see how they develop. Keep the eggs underwater at all times.

You should be able to tell within a day or so. Unfertilized eggs will turn white. Fertilized ones turn a light greyish color. If they're not fertilized then for whatever reason there was no sperm to fertilize them (either no fertile males in tank/female laid them solo or male and female weren't able to coordinate the act right). If the latter they get more skilled as they practice, like people ^_^

The jagged ones look like they've been broken open by the female trying to eat them. If you decide to try to raise the eggs you should remove them as soon as possible after being laid so they aren't eaten. You can get rid of the infertile ones once they turn white so they don't spread fungus to the others.

What sort of fish are in the tank?
Do you have males & females of each species?

Lots of fish eggs start out clear and don't show any developing embryo for a few days. Move them into a container of tank water and see how they develop. Keep the eggs underwater at all times.
I have Corys (8) (Paleatus and Albino Aneaus, 4 ea with more planned), Buenos Aries (6) and Black Skirt (9) Tetras

The Albino(s) females were the egg layers, I think I have 2 ea male & female based on size/shape. The males seemed to be actively trying to fertilize the eggs. The BA Tetras would occasionally nip at the eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back