EGGS EGGS SO MANY EGGS

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

steve-0

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
tonight my convict laid eggs, the problem is i only have on convict. I only have the one because she was given to me.
the convict laid its eggs and is very protective, chasing anyone that comes near them except my male firemouth who stays right beside her. Is it possible that these two mated together?

i havent heard anything about that happening before doesnt mean its not happened this time prolly best to move those who she is chasing away to give a chance to look after the eggs. in the natural environment there is allot more space for the other fish to go to when being chased off so in the tank you may notice they are being backed into a corner this imho is prolly not good for ither the chaser or the chased. if you cant then perhaps somekind of divide not transparent type of divide made perhaps of plastic or something. thease are my thaughts they may not be the thaughts of everyone so pipe up cm im no cichlid expert.

If the female is allowing the male firemouth to stay by her side, then it is possible he fertilized the eggs.

Whether or not they are viable is another story!!

The eggs, if no good, will start to turn white within the next 24-48 hours. Keep a close eye on them. The female will (or should) removed any bad eggs from the clutch.

If on the other hand only a few or none at all turn white, then they should be viable.

If viable, the next question is one of ethics!!! Do you want to keep the fry being they will be hybrids?? If, say you wanted to keep a few to grow out to see what they would look like, then this IMO is fine, but I don't think they should be offered on the market!!

The choice,of course is yours!!

CM

hahahahahahahah. good one
well too late i think someone ate the eggs.
im goin to my lfs today to exchange a fish and buy a divider in case something happens like this again. I would not sell these fish they would only be mine :)

im the fire starter twisted fire starter... sorry couldnt resist. shame about the eggs.

B) :lol: awwee, poor babies :( but dont worry, with a convict and a firemouth, you'll be having new sets of eggs every month...welcome to hell dady!! mwuhahahahahahahhahahhahahaahhaha

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back