eggcrate....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

keane

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

eggcrate......what exactly is it? where do i get it from (LFS/hardware store)??

have been told to get some to put at the bottom of my mbuna tank when setting up so the weight of the rock aquascape i build is evenly distributed and not at one single point on the glass base?

thanks

steve. B)

I use eggcrate to build undergravel filters ... I assume you mean the plastic grid like covering.

I purchased mine in the lighting section at Home Depot .... it's used to cover flourescent lighting fixtures. It comes in 2 foot by 4 foot sheets and can be cut with a pliers.

Good Day ...

Eggcrate is a foam type material. It comes in sheets, flat on one side, and undulated on the other. The amount of undulation varies with the product. Lying with its flat side down, it looks like you would be able to arrange eggs on it's upper surface as it has hollows - of course, these may or may not fit eggs as the degree of undulation is variable across a product range. The undulations can be as small as a few millimetres up to several centimeters.

It is used medically over a matress to distribute the patients weight and avoid pressure sores.

Look here, the section that begins with "convoluted foam mattress pads" are "eggcrate".

It depends on what you mean by egg crate? The type I use is sold by either your LFS or lighting stores. Its mainly used for marine aquaria for building reef racks/reef clean systems.

eggCrate.jpg

ste :)

How interesting. Why is that called eggcrate?

Ste2k3......The Mohave Kid......brilliant! :thumbs:

that's what i thought it was and exactly what i am looking for!!

thanks v.much.

steve B)

Hey..thanks from me too. I am in the process of getting my Nano tank together and many people recommended using egg crate to distribute the weight of the live rock. Thanks Ste. SH

sorry to bump this up to the top again... :*)

ste2k3......where can i get eggcrate from/where did you get yours from??

you are only in Warrington and I am in Chester.

I can't get hold of any anywhere and I can't set my tank up until i do!!! :X

help please!

cheers in advance :thumbs:

steve 8)

try this idea...

Get some acrylic cut to size to fit inside your aquarium. Test fit it...

Smear silicone to one side of the acrylic and add some matching substrate ontop of the silicone. Once dry put a good bead of silicone on the inside bottom of the tank then lay the acrylic in. You want to be sure that you get a good seal, you do not want water getting under the acrylic as it may go anerobic and you dont want that. You may want to put a small fan in the aquarium blowing upwards to help circulate are throughout the tank. Once the smell is completely gone its time to fill...

The nice thing about doing this is with fish that like to dig can dig all they want and you will never see the mirrored reflection efect. This also protect the bottom glass from heavy rocks.

Are you planning on coming to warrington? don't know anywhere in chester that sells it?

ste :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back