Effects of 24/7 Light On Aquarium Plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gemtrox42

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a large amount of hornwort quarantined in a 10g tank, which I am using an LED strip to light. I am going on vacation for a week and will not be around to turn my light on and off, and I don't have a timer for them. I'd really like to keep them out of my main tank for now (which does have a light timer), so I am stuck with either keeping the 10g lights on or off the whole time. So there are probably pros and cons to both, but I'd like to know specifically if there is a big reason to do one or the other. Or, maybe I'm being overly cautious, and it all needs to go in the main tank. What do you guys think?

Stick it in the main tank

Put a double adaptor on the timer and run an extension cord to the second light.

If you leave the plants without light for a week they will struggle and could die.

If you leave them in light 24/7 it stresses them but they probably won't die.

If you don't have a double adaptor and extension cord, then leave the light on 24/7 for the week you are away and just clean the algae off the glass when you get back.

Don't leave them on 24 hours a day.

If you can't get a timer in time, leave the lights off and open a curtain/blind.

Plants just like fish and all animals need a period of darkness to "rest." Hiscock says plants may oversynthesize with light beyond what they need for photosynthesis (in balance with the nutrients) and literally wear themselves out. Strong light beyond what the plant needs for photosynthesis may cause nutrient deficiencies within the plant, even when nutrients are available. Another issue will be algae...it could easily increase to smother the leaves, killing the plant.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back