Eerrruuugh

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

catxx

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
my newest tank, my 7 gallon, has got a rapidly increasing amount of yukky brown algae
i only just noticed that it was really algae, being a relative newbie.

did some research and i'm going to see if i can wipe it off as many surfaces as possible.

on the site i found it says increasing the lighting may help combat it (i have some live plants in there, majority is silk though) my current bulb in there is the one that came with the tank, visilux 11watt, the tank is only a 7 gallon, what wattage could i go up to?

also, should i "borrow" some bristlenoses for a few weeks?? give them some plumping up on yummy algae?

argh! algae sucks.

It's actually an animal called diatoms. They don't like light, and tend to form in a tank around the 6 week mark, just after it's finished cycling.

They will go away on their own, or increasing the light may speed up their departure.

Increasing the light may result in an algae bloom too, so be careful.

Otocinclus simply love to eat these guys. They will go away after a couple weeks, so it's probably not a good idea to introduce new fish just to get rid of them.

I've tried more light, less light and ottos and none of that seems to work for me.

I have loads of this in my 10g but I bet its because I don't turn the light on as much, but that doesn't explain why my long 20g doesn't get it because the light hasn't been turned on it in at least a week and a half.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back