Eel in freshwater tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Spotted on a YouTube channel: Why did they put a moray eel in a freshwater tank? And do morays live in freshwater tank or not?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1041).png
    Screenshot (1041).png
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot (1039).png
    Screenshot (1039).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
There is a species called the freshwater moray, although I know nothing about them beyond that they exist. I assume that's what is in the video if it's in fw. Other moray species are strictly saltwater and should be kept at full marine salinity.

Hmm well, from a bit of quick reading it sounds like "freshwater morays" are actually more brackish to marine and don't live in full fw their whole lives. So the common name is perhaps a bit misleading.

It's something we have to accept in this hobby: There are a great many people out there who keep their fish in irresponsible ways and subject them to inhumane treatment. A strange number of these same people seem to have popular youtube channels. That probably isn't going to change any time soon. It is both sad and liberating to realize that, in the end, you can't control anyone but yourself.

Freshwater moray eels are found in one location. They live in freshwater while young but normally moving into brackish or seawater as they mature. They can sometimes be kept in freshwater their entire lives but it must be hard (GH 300ppm plus) and have a high pH (above 8.0).

This species is called Indian mud eel/Indian mud moray eel/freshwater moray eel(Gymnothorax tile)
They're more of a brakish species but they do live in freshwater
As for keeping brakish tank is the most suitable cuz they tend to get stressed in fully freshwater

This species is called Indian mud eel/Indian mud moray eel/freshwater moray eel(Gymnothorax tile)
They're more of a brakish species but they do live in freshwater
As for keeping brakish tank is the most suitable cuz they tend to get stressed in fully freshwater

I kept G Tiles many years ago buying them as freshwater from a freshwater tank. I got two and they struggled in fresh but I moved them to brackish and they thrived and got some beautiful markings in the end. super active and very greedy

There is a freshwater moray called Gymonothorax Polyurandon. I've had mine just over a year rarely see much of its head but a lovely thing when you see it venture out. major escape artists too and seemingly fully freshwater

Attachments

• eel.jpeg
    eel.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
There is a freshwater moray called Gymonothorax Polyurandon. I've had mine just over a year rarely see much of its head but a lovely thing when you see it venture out. major escape artists too and seemingly fully freshwater
Interesting 🤔
Never heard of this sp. though

Most reactions

Back