Eel ID

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SirMinion

Sexy Martha Fahaka
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Despite that we have no SW tanks, LadyMinion and I always take a good look around the fantasic marine tanks at one of our LFSs when we visit.

A short time ago in the marine tanks they had some eels they had labled as "Licorice shoelace Eels"
They had the classic moray eel head, but were jet back, very thin (like a licorice shoelace) and only about eight inches long. They may also have had some neon yellow on them, but I'm not sure I remember correctly.

Google comes up blank on the common name or any variation I can think of.
Can anyone identify these little guys? If so, you might just be the one responible for the Minion household branching out into the deep dark world of marine fishkeeping....

Black ribbon was what immediately sprung to mind for me as well.
Although I'm not sure if I would say they had the classic head shape.
Also, are they that thin - even when only 8 inches (they grow up to 4ft)?

There are a number of small eels that really are shoelace thin, but I don't see any black ones in Dr Burgess' Atlas.
Could be Muraenichthys sp., Aprognathodon platyventris, Opichthid eel amongst others.

I've googled for pictures of the Black Ribbon Eel, and they do look exactly as I remember.

Four feet? Mwah. Maybe not such a good idea then.

I was hoping that they were a species of 'dwarf' moray but they must have just been babies.

Thanks everyone. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back