Echinodorus species identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Was the plant grown under water?
Have you got pictures of it?

Can you post some photos of these issues, so we can see how they are being cultivated.
I grow it outdoor but it have been raining all the time for a month now, the rain just stopped today.
1E25DAEC-9E1E-4C4C-A79A-99BFFBADF1BF.jpeg
9E975643-68BE-442E-B79A-3791077142EC.jpeg

The sword plant looks really good and healthy. There is a small hole that might be from a slug or snail but it looks to be really healthy.

Regarding the brown bit on the flower, is it soft and squishy or firm?
It just looks like the dry flower petals.

Regarding the brown bit on the flower, is it soft and squishy or firm?
It just looks like the dry flower petals.
It’s soft and squishy, are amazon sword flower only bloom once and then dry out? Is it a seasonal thing?

We have snail infestation going on here, hundreds of snails coming out during the rain.

The sword plant flower lasts for a few days and then the petals turn brown and dry up. If it's raining, the petals could just be damp and squishy because of the rain.

The plant will produce 1 or more flower stalks during the flower season and the flower stalk will have a number of flowers on it. As the flowers get fertilised they close up and turn into balls (seed pods) where the seeds develop inside the ball. After a month or so (depending on temperature), the balls dry out and open up allowing the seeds to fall out.

Why does my E. cordifolius (both mother plant and plantlet) grow out this red spot leaves after dosing ferts daily for about a week? I didn’t bought the ‘Ozelot’ variety either and all swords in the store doesn’t have this spotty leaves.

A92A352E-18F9-4DAF-9AD2-4CD271B01CE8.jpeg

1C7F6B86-3696-4F87-9BBE-868484CD0722.jpeg

@Colin_T @Byron

If this is E. cordifolius, here is some descriptive data.

The petiole [leaf stem] is triangular, with ovate to oval blades growing 7-30 cm in length and 4-20 cm in width. Blades are usually acute [pointed tip] with 5-9 longitudinal veins and are light to medium green, sometimes displaying reddish spots; new leaves regularly appear from the centre of the crown and the initially-brownish blades unfold and become light green as they grow somewhat slowly towards the surface.

Its E.radicans/cordifolius...hardy enough to be native to most of the southeast USA. As the photo shows they are sold as emersed pond plants also for ponds and bogs in the yard.
E.grisebachii is aka the Bleheri Sword. Maybe more tropical cultivar of E. radicans and seems to be more at home underwater by not sending out emersed leaves if its happy.

If this is E. cordifolius, here is some descriptive data.

The petiole [leaf stem] is triangular, with ovate to oval blades growing 7-30 cm in length and 4-20 cm in width. Blades are usually acute [pointed tip] with 5-9 longitudinal veins and are light to medium green, sometimes displaying reddish spots; new leaves regularly appear from the centre of the crown and the initially-brownish blades unfold and become light green as they grow somewhat slowly towards the surface.
Thanks for informative post as always Byron.

I was wondering about where you get these information, I’m trying to find informations on the internet and never find one like you did, all I found was a bunch of stores and sellers

Thanks for informative post as always Byron.

I was wondering about where you get these information, I’m trying to find informations on the internet and never find one like you did, all I found was a bunch of stores and sellers

I wrote profiles of several species for another forum some years back, and researched the available sources (botanists and such). You can get the reliable scientific data by using Google Scholar as opposed to regular Google search engine. Type "Echinodorus" in Google Scholar and you will have pages of references to scientific studies involving this genus of plants.

Why does my E. cordifolius (both mother plant and plantlet) grow out this red spot leaves after dosing ferts daily for about a week? I didn’t bought the ‘Ozelot’ variety either and all swords in the store doesn’t have this spotty leaves.

View attachment 144387

View attachment 144388
@Colin_T @Byron
Fertiliser shouldn't be done every day because you can overdose the plants and they burn out. If you use a half dose and let them sit in the solution for a couple of days, that is fine. But the rest of the week they should get water without fertiliser.

The brown patches look like the Ozelot variety and the plant might be carrying the Ozelot gene but it is only showing in 1 leaf.

The small black dots look like damage from a bug/ insect pest. I wouldn't worry too much unless it gets worse and spreads to other leaves. Then look for bugs on the plants and squash them.

Fertiliser shouldn't be done every day because you can overdose the plants and they burn out. If you use a half dose and let them sit in the solution for a couple of days, that is fine. But the rest of the week they should get water without fertiliser.
What about the Seachem daily schedule for a planted tank do you think it is safe? https://www.google.co.th/search?q=s...HRUmAmAQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=1024&bih=665&dpr=2
The small black dots look like damage from a bug/ insect pest. I wouldn't worry too much unless it gets worse and spreads to other leaves. Then look for bugs on the plants and squash them.
I moved the plant to balcony weeks ago and they are still getting eaten.

Also my uncle found this exact same sword plant species in the waterfall nearby and it isn’t native species, does killing them protect the ecosystem?

What about the Seachem daily schedule for a planted tank do you think it is safe? https://www.google.co.th/search?q=s...HRUmAmAQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=1024&bih=665&dpr=2

No this is not safe for fish. The charts involve regular dosing of individual nutrients. This is not necessary in low-tech or natural planted tanks (fish tanks that happen to have plants). When you get into a high-tech system, an aquatic garden, then brighter light means more nutrients to balance, and this is where the fish start having issues. [Using Flourish products will be considerably more expensive than using the other fertilizers that high-tech aquarists tend to favour.] Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is a complete supplement, suitable for low-tech or natural systems, and as the name implies, it is intended to supplement the natural-occurring nutrients.

In case of fert use, I advice repeated doses : weekly amount ÷ 7 being a seventh per day.

Also my uncle found this exact same sword plant species in the waterfall nearby and it isn’t native species, does killing them protect the ecosystem?
Are you sure the plants by the waterfall are Echinodorus?
There are a number of plants in Australia that look like Echinodorus for part of the year but change during the rest of the year.

If they are Echinodorus, then removing the ones from the wild will help native plants, through less competition. However, if there are no other native plants in the area, then any plants are better than none and I would leave them be under those circumstances.

Do not poison the introduced plants because the chemicals are bad for the environment and do massive damage to the ecosystem. If you need to remove introduced species of plant, pull them out by hand and burn them or put them in a compost heap for 6 months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back