Echinodorus Impai is not happy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I don't know if its still going through stages of adapting to submerged life. But I haven't noticed any new leaves, and the existing ones are slowly but surely melting away. It has a few root tabs dotted around the roots. Getting plenty of light. Maybe it just doesn't like my water?
IMG_20201106_112944.jpg

Seems to be doing better although I haven't changed anything. The new leaves that it grows are a dark red colour that then start to fade to green.

The leaves have a lot of twists and bends in them. That could be an indications of a calcium and or a magnesium deficiency. What is your water hardness GH level.

The leaves have a lot of twists and bends in them. That could be an indications of a calcium and or a magnesium deficiency. What is your water hardness GH level.
GH is 5.7
Not sure what KH is though.. isnt that the measure of calcium?
PH 7.6
Temperature 21c/71f
Root tabs are TNC root plugs
2-3ml daily TNC complete

GH is the measure of calcium. KH is the measure of carbonates.

Gh measure Calcium and magnesium. Bot are essential nutrients for plants.

Kh measures the total carbonate salts in the tank. Some will be calcium and magnesium carbonate. Sodium and Potassium bicarbonates will also be detected.

To be really picky, GH measures divalent metal ions. In practice, this is mainly calcium with some magnesium and trace amounts of other metals. My son used to work for a water testing company here in the UK and the definition is from him.

And strictly speaking, KH measures the amount of buffer in the water. In practice, this is carbonate. The reason water providers use the term alkalinity is because KH is measured by adding acid of a set concentration until the pH drops to 4.5 (again, info from my son)

Edit to add - it doesn't matter what the cation of the carbonate is, it's still carbonate. And bicarbonate is still a carbonate.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back