Eating my plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bdoggy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I set up a 10g for my female endler guppies. I put some baby cryp. Green. They are nipping at the leaves nonstop. I was trying to give them some cover to hide in, and especially for the fry when they start making babies.. what plants wont they eat?..
Thanks.
B.

Thanks.. It definitely looks like they're taking some of the leaves... They are baby plants. Probably nice and tasty. Are there vegetables I can give them other than algae wafers?.

The food they get says it has vegetables and seaweed.. but also ground up sword prawn... Maybe they want straight salad? Lol. I'll put a picture of the food I got for them.

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_220141746.jpg
    IMG_20220824_220141746.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 26
A lot of people use pumpkin, zucchini, cucumber, peas, spinach and a few other fruits/ veges for their fish. You can blanch (partly cook) them before feeding to the fish. Some fish prefer softer foods and others are quite happy to eat the raw foods.

You can buy seaweeds at some Asian supermarkets or in the Asian food section at normal supermarkets. It's available in dry, fresh and frozen.

Make sure any fruits/ veges are free of chemicals.

Wash them well before use and if possible, peel them.

Only add 1 or 2 thin slices to the tank and remove them after an hour.

Do not feed potatoe, onion or onion relatives (garlic, spring onion, shallots, etc) to fish.

--------------------
You can also buy vege flakes/ pellets from most pet shops.

Endlers are omnivores. So basically, they would be able to eat any plant. But maybe feeding a bit more could stop them from doing that. Get them distracted from eating your plants.

Endlers are omnivores. So basically, they would be able to eat any plant. But maybe feeding a bit more could stop them from doing that. Get them distracted from eating your plants.
They'll do it right after I feed them.. I put some hornwort in there and they are leaving that alone..

Blanch some cucumber they will enjoy that nice and easy for them 👍

They'll do it right after I feed them.. I put some hornwort in there and they are leaving that alone..
Do they feed themselves on a specific plant or all of it? It could be that a certain plant may have a certain attraction on them.

Do they feed themselves on a specific plant or all of it? It could be that a certain plant may have a certain attraction on them.
The crypt wendii green... I bought a tissue culture and put it in.... They destroyed them all... I put some horn wort and other stem plants... They peck at them a bit but the leaves are probably not as tender so they seem to be ok

If it was a crypt, as you sure it wasn't crypt melt? Crypts don't like being moved and it is common for the leaves to just melt away soon after purchase. The roots are still alive though and will eventually grow new leaves.

If it was a crypt, as you sure it wasn't crypt melt? Crypts don't like being moved and it is common for the leaves to just melt away soon after purchase. The roots are still alive though and will eventually grow new leaves.
Maybe they will grow back, but no it wasn't melt... I watched them attack those poor plants and then made little green poops for a day after..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back