Easy to keep floating plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me easy to keep floating plants, also are water changes tricky with floating plants?

I have amazon frogbit in my tanks. When I do water changes I just have the tube under them, and push them aside to get the tubing in. They do stick to my arms when I come out of the tank but I just pull them off and put them back. The only time they are a nuisance is if I let the roots grow too long and the siphon tube catches them, but I do trim the roots or they'd trail on the bottom of the tank.

I used to have water sprite. This was OK, except when I didn't thin it out often enough and then it ended up as a tangled mess. That's why I changed over to frogbit.

I have found dwarf/ mini water lettuce (Pistia Stratiotes) the easiest. It thrives in my tanks which are pH 7.6, GH 160ppm, temperature 75f/ 25c. I use a half dose of Seachem comprehensive each week. Maintenance consists of removing the odd yellow/ melting leaf and throwing out excess plants at the weekly water change.

I have tried hornwart, water wisteria, frogbit, riccia flutians, salvinia and eloeda but they did not last. The dwarf water lettuce has thrived for a year or more.

Do you need to trim roots with the mini water lettuce?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back