🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people! :)

I am looking for some super easy to grow plants. In most “Professional” aquascapes, you don’t see any plants actually in the substrate, you see plants on top (carpeting plants) and you see plants near rocks.

May a please have a list of an easy carpeting plants, and easy plants to grow on rocks?

Also, maybe some floating plants?

Thank you for your time! :)

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

You can use pygmy chain sword for a carpeting plant. And Bolbitis, Java Fern or Java Moss for growing on rocks and driftwood.

I've had success with Bucephalandra growing on wood. There are many species, all slow growing (and a bit more expensive than other plants)

No doubt Colin will now say it's not actually an aquatic plant ;)

Here's a photo of my Bucephalandra maia so you can see what it looks like. It was quite new when I took that photo, hence the thread tying it on. It's attached by itself now.

Bucephalandra maia.JPG

Colin recommended water sprite for me and it's doing well since added about a week ago. I have already noticed some growth. I'd recommend the water sprite so far as a floating plant. It seems easy enough to care for thus far.

I also have almost no experience with pants and had zero luck the one time when I tried live plants a long time ago.

I also picked up 1 amazon sword, stuck it in the gravel and that is doing good as well.

I'll continue to add plants if things continue to work out for me.

I'll second that comment on water sprite. I was never really into plants but I read about it on here and it does very well in my tank. And the Espes's rasboras like it, they never ventured out of the back corner till they had some cover.

I have had good luck with C. wendtii. Some of the cryptocorynes are low light and are easy to grow but very slow growing. Hornwort and duckweed, nobody can kill it. When I was a kid I grew Vallisneria right in the gravel of my UGF filtered 5 gallon. It got about one hour of direct sunlight a day. I watched tiny tiny bubbles coming right off the leaves and it sent out runners like crazy. I don't even see Vallisneria anymore. I would love to have some. Water Lettuce, although better suited to ponds, is great for a floating plant. Some Killies spawn in the roots and fry and micro organisms thrive there. Java Fern is my favorite plant. You can't kill it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back