Easy Foreground Plants?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MoonstruckMuse

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 7 gallon hex tank (about 18" tall) with a 10watt bulb, so that's a little over 1 wpg. I use sand substrate and would be willing to dose my tank on occasion, though preferably nothing too fancy. No CO2, though.

So, what does the watery world have that could work as a foreground plant? I also have in the tank some corkscrew vals, java moss, and an onion plant that will be moved when it becomes too large. I don't mind cutting and replanting often.

If there's really not much, I think I'll just plant java moss, haha. Haven't seen many people using that though - any other pics, asides from the sticky here about how to attach it?

Thanks in advance! :good:

See my Avatar

Anubias Barteri 'Petite' or in america often called Dwarf Anubia barteri. Very easy to grow, looks good.

Aquatic Magic sell them.

Also Riccia is a fail safe foregound grower as a grass like tied down format.

Narrow leaf Java Ferns etc.

Other than that I won't suggest anymore items because I tendto have my midground plants at the front and look over them for other things. lol

Andy

Alright, thanks for the excellent selections, guys! I hadn't realized that Tropica had a search function... very handy.

I'm really liking eleocharis "parvula". I adore anubias, and have that type in one of my other tanks, but because this tank is pretty tall looking, I was hoping I could emphasize that even more with the plant appearances, hence the onion plant and vals.
Riccia I've seen used pretty often, but I was under the impression that it needed much stronger light/CO2 injection? What are your experiences with that?
Narrow leaf Java Fern! Ahh, that's brilliant, haha. I'll definitely try and get some, I love java fern.... heh.

According to Tropica, Marsilea hirsuta can also be grown in lowlight conditions. Anyone have experience with this plant and want to share?

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming! :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back