Easiest Plants to grow

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Short answer is "Yes!"
I was trying not to take over the thread.
Lots of plants need to be kept above substrate and get tied (or glued) to rocks and wood, or can be left to attach themselves, (like Java Moss).
Most of these are, however, relatively slow growers.
...And we haven't even mentioned the wonderfulness of floating plants yet! ;)

NOTE that all plants will feed through both stems/leaves and by roots.
Some just use one method as their main means.
Yes. I had some java moss growing when I had cold water and it just looked brown and sad. I removed it and now I have bits growing on the drift wood in the tank. I hope it keeps growing

Yes. I had some java moss growing when I had cold water and it just looked brown and sad. I removed it and now I have bits growing on the drift wood in the tank. I hope it keeps growing
Whilst some like Java Moss and Fern can allegedly grow in colder waters, (it isn't always warm in the tropics), most do better in more tropical temps.
Java Moss is often sold already and naturally attached to bits of wood over here, which is great for quick starts.
That said, if ever I come across a tub of it, I buy...it's great for settling itself, given time and 'softening' those bare expanses of wood some of us have.
Mine has even decided to attach itself up the side of my filter box;

DSCN4176.JPG

The only potential downer to this plant was that it acted as a base for some annoying hair algae, but once I cleaned it off with a bottle brush and addressed the cause of the algae, it soon recovered.

Whilst some like Java Moss and Fern can allegedly grow in colder waters, (it isn't always warm in the tropics), most do better in more tropical temps.
Java Moss is often sold already and naturally attached to bits of wood over here, which is great for quick starts.
That said, if ever I come across a tub of it, I buy...it's great for settling itself, given time and 'softening' those bare expanses of wood some of us have.
Mine has even decided to attach itself up the side of my filter box;

View attachment 144826

The only potential downer to this plant was that it acted as a base for some annoying hair algae, but once I cleaned it off with a bottle brush and addressed the cause of the algae, it soon recovered.
(Is hair algae like black brush algae which I now have)

(Is hair algae like black brush algae which I now have)
No...green hair algae looks like you'd expect it to look like from the name.
It'll start of with probably random, single strands, drifting out with the current, perhaps from a leaf, or a rock, or a piece of wood.
It then multiplies, so you have lots of strands and then...well...I'm sure you can guess the rest.

My issue was caused by an over-use of the Plant Boost setting on my new LED light system and was resolved by my switching to another regime and for less duration.

No...green hair algae looks like you'd expect it to look like from the name.
It'll start of with probably random, single strands, drifting out with the current, perhaps from a leaf, or a rock, or a piece of wood.
It then multiplies, so you have lots of strands and then...well...I'm sure you can guess the rest.

My issue was caused by an over-use of the Plant Boost setting on my new LED light system and was resolved by my switching to another regime and for less duration.
Well done you. Great figuring. Most would have gone my goodness now what.

Cryptocoryne wendtii will grow under all conditions. Cold / warm Low lighting / High lighting/ With ferts or without.

I have danios, platys and a guppy. My other guppy died. That's a good idea. Those black ties you can buy from Bunnings?
Bunnings! When we moved to our current house they were five mins walk away so got a lot of my custom.
What a shambles of a website though. It didn’t even tell you everything they sold never mind if any were in stock at your local branch or the price. Half the time it linked to their Aussie website.
They’ve retreated back to the Southern Hemisphere now. Closing down sale was a feeding frenzy of local builders and DIY freaks. Great fun.

Back on topic: Anyone suggestions for the best plants to grow in temperate water of 19gh/340ppm?

I think the key to a successful low tech planted tank is getting the right combination of "fast growing nutrient sinks" with "slow growing low nutrient using" plants.

It be a bit of trial and error and what works in one tank might not work in another. I have found one good combination is some floating plants (pretty much all of them work but Duckweed is pretty much indestructible) as your nutrient sink and then plants like Anubias and Crypts like Cryptocoryne beckettii work pretty well together. The same idea of fast growing stem plants with slow growing plants works as well but depending on your stem plants they may suffer a bit with a lower nutrient load.

The other thing that makes plants "easy" to grow is having a good density of them. Just putting in one of two plants almost always doesn't work as well as putting a whole bunch in.

Anacharis is another very fast growing plant.

When it comes to weighing them down I tend to hold them under big Stones or find nice little gaps I can put them in and sourround with decor so they don’t move

I hate the idea of metal tieing weights in tanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 27
When it comes to weighing them down I tend to hold them under big Stones or find nice little gaps I can put them in and sourround with decor so they don’t move
I've often used that method, but I've found that with my sand substrate, the kuhli loach like to dig around the base of plants, especially those held down by rockwork. This makes sense,, because, in the wild, that'll be where all of the tasty tidbits would be found.
I hate the idea of metal tieing weights in tanks
Tried and tested and rarely bested. ;)
Not always necessary, but it's just another handy tool to have in the tool box. ;)

I appreciate the list- but I think I've managed to kill all of them.
I have a pretty good track record with duckweed, though, and I think I've about got guppy grass figured out.

I appreciate the list- but I think I've managed to kill all of them.
I have a pretty good track record with duckweed, though, and I think I've about got guppy grass figured out.
Excellent.
So, in spite of your alleged plant ineptitude, you've still managed to get substrate and water surface covered. ;)

The 2 I have on the left there pretty chill to be honest

I don’t give them anything and they give me well plants haha

I don’t know what there called though

Sorry about the fish💩 on the right and Mexico(orange sail fin molly) photobombing

Attachments

• EB282967-C705-4FB3-AAE8-1CBAF18C5EAD.jpeg
    EB282967-C705-4FB3-AAE8-1CBAF18C5EAD.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 29

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back