Easiest Plants to grow

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
When you go to the LFS, what plants should you buy, what are the easiest to grow. No fertilizers, No special care. these plants will grow like weeds anywhere

Ludwigia natans ( repens )
Cardamine Lyrata
Ceratopteris cornuta
Myriophyllums all of them
Limnophila aquatica
Hygrophila polysperma

This is just a start, these are the fast growing easy plants that you should be putting in your tank first. Then try Java fern, Anubias and Crypts.
But please get the first list growing first.
If you have any other suggestions please add it to the list. This is about the first plants you put in your tank.

Thanks I will ask the fish shop if they have them. Very helpful. I like plants

I'm sorry for the Latin names, but at least we will know that we are talking about the same thing, and a little research never hurt anyone ;)
Do you need a heater at the gravel. I have trouble keeping the plants in the gravel. They have kept floating to the top. But now they are staying in the gravel. It's been hard work really a lot of work I haven't expected it to be so much work

Do you need a heater at the gravel. I have trouble keeping the plants in the gravel. They have kept floating to the top. But now they are staying in the gravel. It's been hard work really a lot of work I haven't expected it to be so much work
What fish do you have? Sometimes a cable tie is enough to attach them to the substrate, the long end will poke into the gravel

What fish do you have? Sometimes a cable tie is enough to attach them to the substrate, the long end will poke into the gravel
I have danios, platys and a guppy. My other guppy died. That's a good idea. Those black ties you can buy from Bunnings?

When you go to the LFS, what plants should you buy, what are the easiest to grow. No fertilizers, No special care. these plants will grow like weeds anywhere

Ludwigia natans ( repens )
Cardamine Lyrata
Ceratopteris cornuta
Myriophyllums all of them
Limnophila aquatica
Hygrophila polysperma

This is just a start, these are the fast growing easy plants that you should be putting in your tank first. Then try Java fern, Anubias and Crypts.
But please get the first list growing first.
If you have any other suggestions please add it to the list. This is about the first plants you put in your tank.
A good starting list, to be sure.

The thing is, with plants, just as with fish, some waters suit better than others.
For fish, we pay a lot of attention to the water and available space.
For plants, we also have to pay some attention to substrate and lights and this extra effort can make plant care daunting, regardless of the multiple benefits.

Assuming you have at least 1" of substrate, most plants will do okay. Add an extra inch or two and they'll even thrive.
This might sound a lot, but if you've arranged your substrate with cleaning it up in mind, there'll be more at the back than the front, encouraging waste to flow downhill, where you can suck it up later, if that's your wont.
...And guess where the best place is to plant your taller specimens?

Anyhow, back to the plants...
I'll second all of the above, but I have a particular fondness for Hygrophila, Myriophyllum and Limnophila species, which have grown very well in my own tanks.
NOTE, however, that the latter two, with feathery leaves, need relatively clean water and limited algae, because these get easily clogged up. That said, they make excellent fry sanctuaries. ;)

I've also learned that availability can vary immensely between countries. For example, we can't get Cabomba anymore, because it's become another invasive species and Vallis is in short supply, due to a restriction to contain a disease, or somesuch. (My lfs was unsure of the reason...all she was aware of is that is wasn't currently available for import).

With regards weights for plants, these are still readily available, although are not lead anymore and apparently safer to use. These strips are best cut into thinner strips and are best cushioned by old filter floss or sponge. I've even come across some 'lead' weight strips with a sponge layer already attached.

With regards weights for plants, these are still readily available, although are not lead anymore and apparently safer to use. These strips are best cut into thinner strips and are best cushioned by old filter floss or sponge. I've even come across some 'lead' weight strips with a sponge layer already attached.
Some of the plants grow out of the substrate. Some aren't planted because they just come out and float next to planted plants. I can't keep putting my arm in there to plant when the plants keep popping out. Is it ok to leave them suspended in the water?

Cabomba is a great plant but I have never found it to grow as well as Limnophila and then I find it is a noxious weed. Which is what I have been saying, all aquatic plants are just weeds given the right environment.

Oh weights for plants that's interesting

Some of the plants grow out of the substrate. Some aren't planted because they just come out and float next to planted plants. I can't keep putting my arm in there to plant when the plants keep popping out. Is it ok to leave them suspended in the water?
Depends on the plant but generally speaking yes it will be fine, aqautic plants get their nutrients from the water their roots are just to stop them drifting away.

Short answer is "Yes!"
I was trying not to take over the thread.
Lots of plants need to be kept above substrate and get tied (or glued) to rocks and wood, or can be left to attach themselves, (like Java Moss).
Most of these are, however, relatively slow growers.
...And we haven't even mentioned the wonderfulness of floating plants yet! ;)

NOTE that all plants will feed through both stems/leaves and by roots.
Some just use one method as their main means.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back