Dying Molly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TO KYO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What’s happening here?! He was fine 2 days ago and now he’s doing spins and resting at the bottom

Attachments

• 45B37957-2DE8-4A6C-8AD7-9D11A0DF9201.jpeg
    45B37957-2DE8-4A6C-8AD7-9D11A0DF9201.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 74
The fish is dying, euthanise it.

If fish start spinning through the water it is usually caused by a protozoan or bacterial infection in the brain. You can sometimes stop it killing the fish if you do big daily water changes and add a heap of salt (4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres/ 5 gallons of water). Keep the salt in the tank for 2-4 weeks then dilute it out.

It's a good idea to wipe the inside of the glass and clean the filter too,

If fish start spinning through the water it is usually caused by a protozoan or bacterial infection in the brain. You can sometimes stop it killing the fish if you do big daily water changes and add a heap of salt (4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres/ 5 gallons of water). Keep the salt in the tank for 2-4 weeks then dilute it out.

What type of bacteria?

I believe @Colin_T is referring to aquarium salt or pool salt. Not table salt.

Last edited:
If the fish is still alive I would euthanize it :(

Deciding to euthanize a pet is not easy and we do not recommend it lightly. @Colin_T recommends it then you should consider it and end it's suffering.
He recommended for me to euthanize my betta (RIP Blaze) but I said no. @Deanasue helped me and he was better for a while. But it was his time to go and God's time to take him.

I think in this instance it would be best to euthanize him, but not in all cases is @Colin_T correct. :)

Well, technically speaking every living thing is dying. I'm dying, your dying. Every second we live, is bringing us closer to our inevitable deaths.

If the molly isn't eating or swimming, then I would consider euthanizing it. If it is still able to more properly considering its position, then don't give up hope! I cant stress this point enough.

He recommended for me to euthanize my betta (RIP Blaze) but I said no. @Deanasue helped me and he was better for a while. But it was his time to go and God's time to take him.

I think in this instance it would be best to euthanize him, but not in all cases is @Colin_T correct. :)
Did not say he was, but this is one that I felt the same way, In Blaze case I felt sorry for you and blazz but happy when he got better even if it was a short while.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back