Dying Fish Vs. Sleeping Fish- Did I Just Over React?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

trianglekitty

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Earlier today I did my usual biweekly water change. I also installed a snail trap, which I've never used before, and used the included tablet as bait.

About five hours later I decide to turn on the lights and see if the trap had caught anything. No snails in the trap, and all of my guppies were sitting on the tank bottom and appeared to be breathing heavily. The tablet in the trap had broken down into a fine powder that was seeping out and clouding the water.

I immediately pulled the trap and did a 75% water change. At this point the fish are more active and swimming about, though some seem bloated (they were probably going to town on the food particles seeping out of the trap). I'm preying I don't lose anyone overnight.

Now, I know my betta sleeps...is it possible my guppies were just sleeping? It was several hours after their usual 'lights out' time and since I've never turned the light on at night, I don't know what their normal behavior is after dark. Could the food in the trap cause an ammonia spike so quickly? I didn't think to test the water before I did the change, I was too busy panicking.

I'm just trying to figure out what happened here...any thoughts would be great.

It was more than likely them sleeping, however I would have done a water check, just incase. However breathing heavily, strange, normally a sign something is wrong. However a water change is always the first thing to do, so I guess if you can do a water test, and then see how the fish are doing :)

i also find my fish tend to breathe a little heavier when sleeping. sounds like sleeping to me. if the snail trap is an aquatic one (wow i want one now) it should be fine.

i also find my fish tend to breathe a little heavier when sleeping. sounds like sleeping to me. if the snail trap is an aquatic one (wow i want one now) it should be fine.

Poor things- imagine being in a sound sleep and then your home starts being drained!

The trap is a good idea- it works basically like a wasp or lobster trap. They can crawl in it, but can't crawl out. I will use it again, but I think I'll put in a slice of squash- something that won't break down like that. It was cheap too- under 10 bucks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back