Dying Betta?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BeachyKeen

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm really hoping for some fast info here. So I purchased my Dragon Scale Betta, Taki, From Pet-smart on Saturday (It's now the next Friday as I write this). The first two days he ate his pellets no problem and probably could've kept eating for a while. After that he started only eating the smallest pellets so I had to hand pick them out or he would suck it in and just spit it back out. The next day he would only eat bloodworms. He now hasn't eaten anything since Wednesday. I've read that Bettas can go for 7 days without food? But along with that, he was a brilliant red with holographic scales along his body and now, is most white and gray except for his fins, which he no longer fans either. For activity, he lays down at the bottom of his tank until he needs air and swims back up. He still shoots around when startled, but when he returns to the floor of the tank, he just sorta breathes and slowly floats back down. I'm really worried that Taki is going to die and I don't know what made him act like this. Please give me any and all advice and I will do my best to answer any questions!!!

Last edited:
Bettas can get constipated and stop eating. They sink (or float) because the bloated stomach puts pressure on the swim bladder. Does he look bloated at all? It would be swelling under his throat.
Please post a picture.

I think @Deanasue has hit the nail on the head. Did he improve after the 75% water change. If you haven't done this already it is urgent!

Could you also tells us the size of the tank he is in, and what kind of filter it has. If you were advised by PetSmart, the tank/filter may not be suitable.

I don't know how to test for nitrate, but I did a 75% water change and he does seem to be doing better. He does not look bloated. He is in a 2.5 Topfin tank with a filter and he has a tank heater in addition I also have a water conditioner. I also changed his food brand and I think he likes it better. He started swimming more last night. I was never advised by any petsmart employee, I bought everything with my own research based on numerous articles. None of the pictures I have are able to be uploaded for some reason so as soon as I figure out how, I will let you all know

Could you also tells us the size of the tank he is in, and what kind of filter it has. If you were advised by PetSmart, the tank/filter may not be suitable.

Hes in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter in it that takes EF-2 filter cartridges. I was not advised by petsmart and chose this based off the research I did before buying my betta

Are you aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle and did you cycle his tank before putting him in? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? I have a feeling you didn’t cycle first. Do a 75% water change and let us know your water parameters ASAP
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-first-fresh-water-tank/
I was not aware of a nitrogen cycle but I did wait five hours after setting up his tank and adding conditioner before putting him in. May have been more as I was waiting for the heater to heat the tank as well. He seems livelier after the water change and i changed his food as well so we will see how he improves.

The nitrogen cycle is very important and as you are doing a fish-in cycle you need to get a test kit to monitor the amount of ammonia and nitrite in the water as both of these are toxic to fish. Until you get one, you need to change around 50% of the water every day. As long as the water has dechlorinator (water conditioner) added and it is the same temperature as the tank, large water changes are good.
The first part of this thread explains what cycling is, though the second part is how to do the cycle before getting fish. As you already have a fish, ignore the second part https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

As you are now doing a fish-in cycle, you need to test for ammonia and nitrite every day and do a water change whenever either are above zero. Until you get a test kit, do a daily 50% water change. As long as you add water conditioner and warm the water to the same temperature as the tank, big water changes are good.

In addition to what @essjay says only feed him every 2 or 3 days and only what he eats within a minute. Food decomposes into ammonia and at this stage getting your filter cycled is the most importnt thing.

I believe essjays link she provided you is the same as the one I had. It doesn’t sound like you read it though. Please, take the time to do so as this is the most important step in fish keeping. If you have questions, we’re here to help.

When you put 2.5 tank do you mean two gallons and a half? That is really small. Perhaps you ought to read up on the truths about bettas and get him a larger tank. I would never put my betta in anything under 10 gallons. That being said obviously the other suggestions about the levels in your tank are very important. I have had a betta in a 10 gallon tank with 7 white clouds and a frog and he is very happy. I have bubbles, heat and a small filter. I hope that your Betta is doing better by now. Also my betta does not like the betta pellets at all. He never eats any of them. The tropical flake color fish food seems to be his favorite as well as the pellets that sink for frogs and loaches and bottom feeders.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back