Dyi Filter Repair Advice Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have a second hand Fluval U3. For awhile I've thought something in the motor was going but I have now figured out the real problem. Its the cord that is going... specifically, the cord where it connects to the big plug. Now, in my younger days I took an electrical course in school... so I am guessing the problem is the cord has been bent a few too many times near the plug and the wires are going.

So... my question is this.... do I get some wire cutting tools and that tool that removes the rubber casing... pull out some fresh wire, reconnect it and put it back together? Or am I better off getting a new filter? The thing is... if it goes, I mess it up and have to rush out to buy a filter.... the ones sold locally are sold at an extortionate price... but if I order online they are a lot cheaper...

What are your thoughts? (I'm in the UK, btw, massive huge plugs LOL)

if you mean the plug where it goes into the socket on the wall then chop it off and fit a new one. Order a new filter as a spare covers both options.

if you mean the plug where it goes into the socket on the wall then chop it off and fit a new one. Order a new filter as a spare covers both options.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I should pop in to the mom and pops electrical shop nearby, I bet that guy would know what the best option is and have a plug as well.

Just unscrew the plug, check for any corrosion (black wire instead of copper), if corroded cut back until you find good wire and refit the plug, if not corroded unscrew contacts and refit.

Just unscrew the plug, check for any corrosion (black wire instead of copper), if corroded cut back until you find good wire and refit the plug, if not corroded unscrew contacts and refit.

Will do. I discovered that is the problem when I knocked the plug when putting it back in and my filter went off.. then bent it back and forth and it went on and off... so I'm now sure its the wires right there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back