Dyed Fish Sales Not Being Outlawed In Uk

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This is fantastic. Thank you for your hard work here. I have just emailed my MP.

I can only assume that the moderators here do care, but maybe are not able to get involved in any political matters ? just an assumption though? Hopefully they just haven't seen it yet or something.

Althought im new to the whole fish keeping thing - i really love it, i have cried before now when my favourite fish have died, when i heard this story my heart sunk a little, poor little fish, so i have also sent this to my local MP!

We need to send this to president obama, and make it illigal in the US. I now see how some people think about fish... I mean, if they were doing this to dogs & cats, it would be stopped. But the poor little fisheys... No one cares about them (well, except us, duh)

What about Glofish. They are breed with the genes in them. Not so cruel, but not natural either.
I think this is fine... cuz they injected the glowing cells of a jelly fish into fish eggs, and those fish with the glow mated with other Glofish, and made more Glofish, and so on. This site should tell you more about Glofish.

Just sent this to Mike Wood my MP, doubt i will get a reply but thankfully i have been to many shops in my local area and a bit further a field and havent seen any dye'd fish

Keep up the fight =-)

Is there a rule of thumb or something to identify when a fish has been dyed? I am not expert enough to know what colours all fish should be, and I would hate to inadvertantly buy and therefore support this process.

Is there a rule of thumb or something to identify when a fish has been dyed? I am not expert enough to know what colours all fish should be, and I would hate to inadvertantly buy and therefore support this process.

There are names given to dyed fish. Also, the colors are unnatural. Ones I know of are...

Mixed Fruit Tetras/Painted Tetras - White Skirt Tetras that are pink, blue, green, etc.
Really are white.

Jellybean Parrot - Purple, green, blue Blood Parrots.
Real color is usually pink, or red. The palest specimens are dyed.

Blueberry/Strawberry Oscar - Blue and pink/red
Really albino Oscar.

Painted Glassfish - Pink, green, blue Indian Glassfish.
Real fish is colorless and transparent.

Others that are less common.

Sorry to sound thick, but what do you mean 'names given'? What kind of names do you mean?

Thanks for the response :)

Sorry to sound thick, but what do you mean 'names given'? What kind of names do you mean?

Thanks for the response :)

The trade names of dyed fish. WHen you see dyed fish for sale, you wouldn't see, for example "Dyed Tetra", you would see "Mixed Fruit Tetra".

I live in Canada but I did send this out here to my Mp who then forwared it to Minister Shea. We'll see what happens. I've also had some friends and family send it in as well.

i don't agree with dyed fish.. I'm lucky when I bought my blood parrots that none were dyed.. considering I was new to fish keeping and would not have known the differnce back then.

I do see from time to time dyed fish in the stores here.. I just don't get it.. I asked as well one day why the shops here order them.. the response was the same as someone else on here.. they don't order them they just show up in the shipments.

D: My babysitter's grandchildren were looking at painted tetras once.... They are *very* beautiful; yet, this was *before* I knew that they were dyed. D: I think they got a few.... Not sure, thoughs; as that *was*, coincidentally, the same day I bought Mr. Wimpy Fish. ^^; ^.^;

I just wanted to share the response I received in Canada...

Dear Ms. Larondeau:

Your Member of Parliament, Mr. Anthony Rota, has forwarded a copy of your correspondence of October 16, 2009, regarding the use of dyes in the aquarium trade.

In Canada, there is currently no Federal Department or Agency regulating that aspect of the aquarium industry. The mandate of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is to develop and implement programs in support of Canada's scientific, ecological, social and economic interests in oceans and fresh waters. Import considerations for aquarium fish are the sustainability of the natural populations of the fish as well as their potential as vectors for disease.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) will be implementing a program with import requirements regarding aquatic animal health, including tropical fish, with respect to disease. Further, fish food may be regulated by the CFIA with respect to ingredients, origin and end use. For more information, you may wish to access the CFIA's Automated Import Reference System.

Another organization that may be of interest to you is the Canadian Council on Animal Care. This is the national peer review agency responsible for setting and maintaining standards for the care and use of animals used in research, teaching and testing throughout Canada.

For your reference, the current Cruelty to Animals Bill is Bill S-203 and was passed in 2008 for incorporation into the Criminal Code. There is a more recent bill that addresses Cruelty to Animals, Bill C-229 (previously C-373), which was introduced by Mr. Mark Holland, Member of Parliament, in 2008. The Animal Welfare Bill you mention in your email may refer to a British Bill by the same name.

Thank you again for you correspondence.

Sincerely, Orignal singed by Gail Shea, P.C., M.P.

c.c.: Mr. Anthony Rota, M.P.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back