Dyed and Hybrid Fish..what we all should know

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
No, they aren't. Albino fish are natural, and do occur in the wild, though they usually do not last in the wild due to their coloration.

P.T.

I had found some baby pink and baby blue tetras (dyed) at the local WalMart monday, so I have alreay contacted the District manager for my area, and now just waiting for a call back again (I was not home when he called the first time). I do not know what it will do, but I am hoping every little bit helps.

That is GREAT Crystal!!! Way to show the world whos boss!!!

Wooo Hooo :whistle:

About the Albino species, I do have to say that they are being intensley farm bred like that, to my knowledge :X , so they aren't as hardy/strong as other colored fish of the same species.
:dunno:

Just something to think about! I mean, albino fish are very rare......as rare as anything else that is albino, but for some reason there is TONS of albino fish in fish stores :no: Pretty wierd I say :sick: :nod:

Well silver, I got ahole of the CEO of Walmart Canada to discuss the dyed fish with him, and unfortunatly he had gotten me to contact the manager of that particular location. I have been playing phone tag with him for a few days.

i would like to know how blood parrot and other fishes had been dyed with extreme color and with what? colour drugs or hormones theraphy or injecting "something" ("something" what???) or by feeding???? anyones knows????? :huh:

Kenny, they dip them into a acid witch ripps off there slim coat (the slippery feel when you touch a fish) then they dip it into a paint/color of there choice.

I cant belive what i just read in the first post,

Flowerhorn - A mix between and african cichlid and a giant gourami?????????
Where did you get that info from.

hi, let me introduce my self...i am kennydiscus from indonesia, im breeding discus here. i need some help from all of you, i need to know how blood parrot and other fishes had extreme color (not natural colr) and with what? by feeding progress or hormones therapy or injecting (injecting with what??) or other progress. thanks for the answer guys..... :D

I cant belive what i just read in the first post,

Flowerhorn - A mix between and african cichlid and a giant gourami?
Where did you get that info from.

I will try and find it...............will be back!!

Edit here>>
I can't for the LIFE of me find that website that had that information on it. So I changed my first post accordingly :dunno: :blink:

Hehehe, if you THINK I'm going to read all 12 pages of this to find out whether anyone else has said this, THINK AGAIN! But I know one shop that sells dyed widow tetras :( Luckilly very few shops near me do. The shop that sells dyed fish also sells ummm.. I think they are Xray fish? I think they look an awful lot better with no dye- they are so cool!

.....Yes the whole dying fish thing is barbaric and cruel and people who buy these fish are only supporting the cause etc. I am completely against the whole dyed/over pedigreed/genetic mutant etc fish thing.

Ok, so bright colorful fish look nice in your tank but there are already plenty of natural brightly colored fish available so why bother dying the poor little things in the first place? I think people need to be more educated that a. keeping fish is not easy and needs lots of research, b. they are living creatures which although it is debatable how inteligent they are, how many emotions they have wether some species even have pain recepters in them, there is no moral founding that treating them badly can ever be "ok".
I mean you already get platy/guppys/siamese fighters in about every different color, if the species of fish you want doesn't come in glow-in-the-dark form or purple of whatever don't get dye it or whatever. In fact, i believe that the fish's appearance shouldn't even be at the top of your list if thats all you want.

I know i'm just saying what others have said here but i feel so strongly about the topic i just wanted to write it.

Just a quick quesiton, I've observed painted fish a few times in fish shops.. and is it just me, or does the dye fade? What happens when a person who doesnt' know much about the fish, buys it for the pretty colors, and the fish fades to it's normal colors? Does it get flushed? sickens me.

Painted fish do normally start to loose their colouring - their is a post about this on the 2nd page of this thread - it states 9 out of 10 loose their colours
How p**sed off must people be when they end up with a colourless fish and most times a dead fish - reduced lifespan is normal for these fish

I think this is very wrong too. I wanted to know if there is a banning movement in the United Stated like there is in the UK? poor litlle fishies :rip:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back