Dyed and Hybrid Fish..what we all should know

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I don't have any problems with breeding fish for certain attributes, but dyed fish? That's just wrong (unless it's through all-natural food, like how wild salmon are pink from eating krill).

I just found a new fish. A " fluorescent black tetra". Are these dyed? They look like glofish but with black skirt tetras..I saw them at petco.

Blood Parrots have been successfully recreated on MFK between a Midas Cichlid and a Vieja Syns, no Severum involved.

I found a website that sells them....
grandaquatic.com

I had no idea that they had expanded to clawed frogs and Oscars
no.gif

I own a few balloon mollies, but I got them before I was aware of their "condition", so to speak; therefore, I am giving them the best aquarium and the best life I possibly can. @silver, can you please add betta splendens to this list? They are not hybrids and are not dyed but I think it's terrible that they are some of the most personable, and sometimes active fish, but are forced to live in "aquariums" of 1/4 gallon! I keep all my bettas in tanks of at least five gallons each and I think that everyone should. For people who have not yet been exposed to the terrible suffering of betta fish at the hands of Walmart, Petco, and other chain stores, educate yourself with these pictures. Millions of bettas are forced to live in these tiny cages for their whole lives, and often die or develop serious problems as a consequence.

Attachments

• betta 1.jpg
    betta 1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 247
  • betta 2.jpg
    betta 2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 248
  • betta 3.jpg
    betta 3.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 255
  • betta 4.jpg
    betta 4.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 250
  • betta 5.jpg
    betta 5.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 253
  • betta 6.jpg
    betta 6.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 250
  • betta 7.jpg
    betta 7.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 237
  • betta 10.jpg
    betta 10.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 239
  • betta 11.jpg
    betta 11.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 268
  • betta 45.jpg
    betta 45.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 251
  • betta 56.jpg
    betta 56.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 244
  • betta 58.jpg
    betta 58.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 231
  • betta9.jpg
    betta9.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 230
  • betta8.jpg
    betta8.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 252
  • betta589.jpg
    betta589.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 235
Humans can be awful, abusive, evil creatures, sometimes without even knowing it; why can't we be more in harmony with nature, like the Native Americans, instead of destroying it?

I hope you are not expecting a reply, this thread was started in 2003 and the last post was made in 2015.

I own a few balloon mollies, but I got them before I was aware of their "condition", so to speak; therefore, I am giving them the best aquarium and the best life I possibly can. @silver, can you please add betta splendens to this list? They are not hybrids and are not dyed but I think it's terrible that they are some of the most personable, and sometimes active fish, but are forced to live in "aquariums" of 1/4 gallon!
Balloon mollies and balloon rams are not hybrids but are genetically mutated fish. Some years ago the breeders found a fish that was deformed by genetics and they bred that fish and encouraged the short fat body.

Siamese fighting fish is called Betta splendens but they were made by hybridising Betta imbellis with Betta splendens. There were reports of other Betta species being used as well to add more colour. They are not active fish like danios, barbs or rainbowfish and are fine in small containers of water that resemble their natural environment. However, that does not mean they should be kept in small containers either. In my opinion, any aquarium with less than 40 litres (10 gallons) of water is a waste and you can buy buckets that hold 5 gallons.

The reason shops keep them in small containers is due to space and to show the fish off. Shops sell a lot of Siamese fighting fish and they buy in large numbers each week. They can't always put them in with other fish because they get attacked and their fins get damaged. And setting up an 18 inch tank for each fish is not economical or viable. They keep the fish in small containers of water so they can have a lot of fish near each other and people can see them all together, and to minimise wasted space. And having 1 fish in each container means the fish is not going to be attacked by other fish.

These fish have been bred in captivity and kept in small containers their entire lives. Keeping them in small containers at the local pet shop for a couple of weeks before customers buy them is not going to affect them as long as the water is kept clean.

....any hobby which deliberately causes an animal to feel pain is cruel imo. I don't even eat fish as I don't feel comfortable with eating something I keep as a pet, but the mother in law is a different matter :lol: :lol:
I am sure hoping that Aberdeen Aquarist did not mean to say that they DO NOT eat fish, since they have kept fish as pets, but "the mother in law in another matter"... DO NOT EAT your mother in law, OR your pet fish !!! LOL OK, I will stop now.... it is a response to a thread from near 7 years ago.... I find humor in everything!

I’m pretty sure no one will respond. This post was started at the beginning of 2000. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back