Dyed and Hybrid Fish..what we all should know

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i admit, i loved seeing super red arowanas. but when i saw that they were simply malaysian arowanas injected with dye, i was kinda turned off by it already.

that's the first time that i've heard that. where did you get this information? i can't find anything to confirm or contradict it.

there was an image at the elkindo red site where they injected fries. they took it down already though.

I have to point out... I read somewhere that these chemicals are also teratogenic. That means that if you keep these dyed fish alive long enough to breed them, the fry will be deformed and/or retarded. I can't quote it directly but I'm sure that if you google it, the article will show up.

Don't know where else to ask this, so I figured I'd try here...

What can I do to stop LFS's in my city from selling dyed fish?

Out of 4 pet stores that sell fish, 3 sell dyed fish. Then there's Wal-Mart.

It's mostly fruit Tetras/painted glassfish/Jellybean Cichlids...And the worst store for selling these fish is one that doesn't care. The owner hates animals but is just in the business because she knows there's money in it :crazy: So showing her an article on it wouldn't do anything.

I'm in Ontario, Canada, too. Is there anything I can do to try to stop these stores from selling these poor fish?? :no:

I recently saw Texas Cichlids with the markings of most flower horns. I saw most cichlids have been hybridized atleast once. I say hybrids are okay as long as the fish doesn't have any deformaties that can't let the fishdo what it requires, like swim and eat.

I have a blood parrot (un-dyed) and she performs just as well as any other fish that I have.
She swims, eats, manuevers, etc. just fine.

I personally fell in love with blood parrots ever since I inherited two of them from my Uncle,
a male and a female, and they are by far one of my favorites now. They have so much character.
My male and female were a pair and always laid eggs (even though they didn't hatch) but they
were wonderful to keep. I still have the female and she's a brilliant deep orange, just beautiful.
Definitely one of the most eye-catching and friendliest fish in my tank.

Dyed fish on the other hand, absolutely cruel.
But hey, not everyone knows exactly HOW those fish become those colors, especially new or inexperienced
aquarists. And the purchasing of dyed fish won't stop because of that fact.
I have known people who haved owned dyed fish that lived just as long as any others, but the process is still
cruel and risky.

After reading through so many posts about the continued dying of different fish species I am SO glad that for once Australia seems to have done something right. Many years ago I remeber seeing dyed albino corydoras for sale in some pet shops and at the time (being young and not knowing) I was captivated by the brillent neon colours and was disapointed that I could never afford one. Now I am much relieved that I never did help this horrid practice and such fish are not available in Australia, I am not sure if it was only a state wide ban or an entire cross country ban but either way such mistreated fish are no longer available. I suspect that the RSPCA had a lot to do with the eventual ban (good for them) and am shocked that so many other countries are still harboring the practice.

As for hybrid breeds I think there needs to be a clear distinction between naturally occuring crosses and genetically/ artifically altered breedings. The former I can only see a problem with if there is a chance of the original "pure" species dying out in collections or becoming endangered in their natural habitat and private collections being needed to boost dwindling wild populations. Many a creature has benefited from hybrid vigour in some degree and it is not always detromental to the creatures overall well being. This however can not be said for scientifically altered species, as only a set trait is being looked for not a collection of traits that may improve the overall health and well being of such a creature. My personal belief is that if the two species would not naturally be able to intermingle e.g over lapping habitats then don't put them together in any type of inclosure, especially if you don't want cross breeding to occur. And if any crosses do occur then the offspring should be able to survive in good health without on going health issues or special requirements. There is a very good reason for the saying "SURVIVAL OF THE FITEST". And any breeders of any accidental crosses be honest about the cross, rather than fob off the offspring as a pure of either parent type.

I thought I might just add here that I am a horticulturalist and plants are possibly the most genetically altered inhabitants on this earth either by naturally cross breeding or by people meddling with them wanting different coloured flowers, longer stems, bigger seed heads or more disease/ pest resistant (the list is almost endless). Hybridization does have its place but just because we can doesn't always mean we should!

A lot of false information here.

Also blood parrots behave the same as there central american ancestors. They eat fine if you feed them what fits in there mouth. They dont chew with there jaws, they chew with there throat. I like the coloration of flowerhorns and nuchal hump is also in there pure ancestors. I just dont like where there head is so big it disables them.

I think its harsh Dyed fish nd Hybrids. Parrots are the biggest Hybrids. they have stuck mouths they are completly awkword i dont think its right just my input and i wold enever buy one.

I definitely agree about the parrots. Most hybrids I don't have issues with. I used to love parrots, but I saw their mouths enough and compared them with normal fish mouths, it just seems awful. Unfortunately, everywhere sells them.

A lot of false information here.

Also blood parrots behave the same as there central american ancestors. They eat fine if you feed them what fits in there mouth. They dont chew with there jaws, they chew with there throat. I like the coloration of flowerhorns and nuchal hump is also in there pure ancestors. I just dont like where there head is so big it disables them.

I don't believe it's false information about the blood parrots. They have deformed mouths. They have deformed backs. What's worst about the blood parrots (all though this is rather unrelated to the hybridization itself) is that they make them tailless and inhumanely dye them pretty colors.
Flowerhorns I don't really have an issue with. Nuchal humps are normal. These fish don't have common swim bladder issues or difficulties eating.

i agree there should be more talks on colored fish and other hybrids as well,i enjoyed reading these discussion a;though i feel bad for the dye injected fish and also for not having more input :good:

oops wrong talk

Well ive personally seen parrots try to eat small enough food to go in their mouths and they just cant, I use to handfeed my parrots to make sure they eat.

Ok. the main thing I don't get is why dyed fish are placed in the same category as hybrids. Blood parrots(which are Synspilum red devil midas hybrids, NO severum what so ever) are pretty much the retarded cousins of Rose queens, Red Mammons, Red ingots, and king kong parrots, all of whom typically have fully functioning mouths and less deformed spines. Most hybrids don't suffer deformities in the first place. I shouldn't have said false but a lot of it is biased. instead of mentioning only the bad, mention the good also, though there is no good in dying fish.

Red Mammon(not dyed!)
AYS3kQp2F8pjG5tuJYndyw.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohvMDYCo0tY

Ok. the main thing I don't get is why dyed fish are placed in the same category as hybrids. Blood parrots(which are Synspilum red devil midas hybrids, NO severum what so ever) are pretty much the retarded cousins of Rose queens, Red Mammons, Red ingots, and king kong parrots, all of whom typically have fully functioning mouths and less deformed spines. Most hybrids don't suffer deformities in the first place. I shouldn't have said false but a lot of it is biased. instead of mentioning only the bad, mention the good also, though there is no good in dying fish.

Red Mammon(not dyed!)
AYS3kQp2F8pjG5tuJYndyw.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohvMDYCo0tY
True. Most hybrids are fine, it just really annoys me when people talk about how wonderful blood parrots are.
Of course, all sorts of fish can be deformed terribly - just think of the balloon fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back