Dyed and Hybrid Fish..what we all should know

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Vip, a suggestion:

I quite agree with you that if people didn't want to read on, they could have stopped after the first couple of lines, BUT, why make them get that far - if they're going to stop reading it then, they might as well not bother opening it - everyone who's said that the title function is there for a reason is quite right. So is the subtitle function. How about, in future, if you have an important point to make, you make the title "The Process Of Dyeing Fish" or whatever, and the subtitle "Important - please read", or something similar. That way, nobody will feel that they've been 'tricked' into reading your post, it won't waste time and money for people who have a slow Internet connection, where they probably pay per minute, and it won't add unnecessarily to the traffic on TFF.

Obviously though, if you just want to feel good by having a high number of 'views' for your topic, then carry on.

I admit i should of made the topic like what you said The Process Of Dyeing Fish, but i still stand by my topic as well, the whole point of posting is to get people to read. I brought painted glass angels once (dunno why) and i had no idea what they were, i had about 10 and they all died, IF and i say IF again a topic like this was pinned or whatever i would of never have brought them, i dont even know if i would read a topic that states The Process Of Dyeing Fish, maybe Dont buy dyed fish or what ever you get my point

Fair point Vip, so how about it mods? Why not pin this topic? Or at least, Vip's first post, which I for one thought was very well written.

I actually liked the ideal of colourful fish in my tank, and was planning when the tank was finally cycled to go out and get the most colourful fish that would live together in a community from my local LFS.

However after reading that i'm completely horrified, i'm so glad that it was here and i did read it, as i was completely clueless, i could never of even imagined that it was possible let alone they do this to improve profits, its absolutely disgusting and i absolutely refuse to buy any fish that are treated in this way.

One problem though, how will i know Are Neon Tetra's dyed?? or zebra danio's??
I'm so confused, do i have to go and buy grey fish etc, just to be sure or is it just the fish that you mentioned that are subjected to this

neon tetras are not dyed fish, thats their colour :)

danios have been known to be used for these dyein projects.... a natural danio color has often been described has 'bland' bit i love there dulled gold colour :)

like iv already said, pinning this topic isnt gonna help the average 'joe public' who might not have internet connection.

but i do agree with it being a pinned topic. (for other reasons than informing about the process of dyed fish)

obviously its not going to reach each and every member of the public who's planning on buying fish. but even if just one person comes here and happens tor ead it, it's done some good, right? also if anyone learns about it here and feels strongly enough to take action like asking their lfs to stop stocking dyed fish it will have improved the situation for everyone...

pandapops001, I think there is a list to help you identify which fish are dyed on deathbydyeing.org.

Whats that nightlife? no one will read this before buying fish or it wont help or what eve you said?? do you need more proof? it might only be one person but its better than nothing!

I agree that this topic is important enough to be pinned. It should be in the beginners questions section. I ended up with several "glo lite" danios which I didn't know about till after they started to die. :sad: I don't go to the store I bought them from anymore.

pandapops001 i would love my tank full of colour also but i couldnt look at those fish proudly without thinking what they went through for our amusement. :cool: :clap: GOOD STUFF for reading up on your item beofre purchasing instead of listening to those eveil fish retailers and to the people who this its not " IMPORTANT" :devil: , glad to see that information has touched peoples hearts. :thumbs:
nightlife20 saying that its not going to change peoples opinon, hmmmmm it seems to be doing good so far :kana: It only takes one person to respect the true fact until they pass the information to the people who " dont have the net" and so on and so on until the word gets around. These days the source of information feeds off the internet no one hardly reads books anymore.
Make sure you pass the information around pandapops001 this world needs more educating people :teacher:

NICI.......... :band:

if a person wished to find out about this subject they only need to do a search VIP (oh look i can make a name bold also :rolleyes: )

put this to the test, do a search on this forum about this subject, look how many times this subject has been posted! roughly 5-8 times in my memory.

if it needed to be pinned it would have been pinned long ago, also if it hasnt escaped your notice, not many ppl belive most of the tripe on the net, what makes u think that everyone who reads this subject is gonna belive it?
you and me might belive it, but just because we do not EVERYONE else will.

fair enough 1 person hasnt heard of it before... kindly take a look at how many members are on this forum.

posting it on a forum wont help everyone in the world to realise whats going on, u feel that strongly about it go an stand outside all the lfs's in ur area and demonstrate it... after all wouldnt that tell more ppl about it?

Whats that nightlife? no one will read this before buying fish or it wont help or what eve you said?? do you need more proof? it might only be one person but its better than nothing

ummm did i ask for proof? was i the only one stateing this was a waste of time? as its already been posted a huge amount of times?

nightlife20 (oh, and by the way - the reason for making names bold is so that it is obvious that it's a name, since lots of people's names could cause confusion), I think you need to calm down a little. I think that everyone agrees that Vip should have put a more useful title, including Vip him/herself (sorry, not sure which!), and that you're perfectly within your rights to feel annoyed that you clicked on the topic under false pretenses.

However, as Vip said, you could have stopped reading after 2 lines, instead though, you've posted about 4 messages complaining about it. Clearly you've got plenty of time on your hands, so I fail to see what the problem is. One person has said that they've learnt something from the post, and who knows how many people have learnt something but haven't posted saying so. That's probably saved the lives of several fish. It's completely irrelevant how many people there are on the forum, some fish have been saved. That's it. I think that most people would agree that saving just a few fish is more important than you being slightly inconvenienced.

Finally - you say that there's no point for the topic to be pinned. If it were pinned, then it would be there for anyone to read who fancied it, and I think that most newbies probably read all of the pinned topics, to learn as much as possible, meaning that thousands of people would learn about dyed fish before going out and buying them. Also, if the topic were pinned you wouldn't have to read any more posts about it. Nobody else would start topics about it, because they would realise that there was a pinned topic.

So. What's your problem???

i dont see how ppl. can dye fish, woulnt they all dye, and wouldnt it wast money? wont they stop if all or most the fish died, i realy dont get it.

wrs said:
i dont see how ppl. can dye fish, woulnt they all dye, and wouldnt it wast money? wont they stop if all or most the fish died, i realy dont get it.
i think that I read that about 80% or something of dyed fish die (!) before even being sold on. now you mention it i have no idea how this makes it financially viable. :unsure:

wrs said:
they do mostly die, there is an 80% mortality rate on any method of dyeing fish.
go to www.deathbydyeing.org for more info on this horrible practice.

and lighten up people!! :thumbs:

the more people who know about this the more likely it'll be stopped.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back