Dwarf snakehead compatibility

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SILVERTRINITY24

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm.looking at getting a dwarf snakehead, my current tank has rainbow fish.and yo-yo loaches, it's about 260l. We also use the tank to house our male platys (mostly to stop overcrowding and give the girls a break!!) Would these be on the menu for said dwarf snakehead?

Thanks

Saskia

Hi dwarf snakeheads are a very under rated fish IMO and a lot of people are scared off them (and rightly so sometimes!). I'm going to be really annoying and ask some obvious questions :)

Which snakehead? And which rainbow fish? I'm not overly confident with your yo-yo loaches... Its a hard one to balance with tank size and snakeheads nature.

Have you considered Pike Cichlids? Crenicichla Saxatilis has a good reputation around others and is a stunning fish. I sometimes feel that Pikes and Snakeheads scratch the same itch if you get what I mean haha.

Wills

Hi dwarf snakeheads are a very under rated fish IMO and a lot of people are scared off them (and rightly so sometimes!). I'm going to be really annoying and ask some obvious questions :)

Which snakehead? And which rainbow fish? I'm not overly confident with your yo-yo loaches... Its a hard one to balance with tank size and snakeheads nature.

Have you considered Pike Cichlids? Crenicichla Saxatilis has a good reputation around others and is a stunning fish. I sometimes feel that Pikes and Snakeheads scratch the same itch if you get what I mean haha.
Thank you for your reply, I was particularly interested in the rainbow snakehead, I'm not overly fussed about the colour but noticed that this particular variety was fairly small. I have a variety of different rainbow fish, the smallest is 16cm in length. The yo-yos are about 15cm also. With regards to alternatives I was originally interested in Bichars. But due to the smaller size of snake heads thought it might be a better option. If you have any other questions please ask away!

Do you mean this one? https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/channa-bleheri/ Scientific names are the best to go with.

If its getting added alongside adult fish like it sounds like you have it could work, I would try and get a very small juvenile to start with, they will grow quickly and hopefully wont see the tank mates it grows with as food. As with any predatory fish though there is always a risk.

Wills

I'm.looking at getting a dwarf snakehead, my current tank has rainbow fish. and yo-yo loaches, it's about 260l. We also use the tank to house our male platys (mostly to stop overcrowding and give the girls a break!!) Would these be on the menu for said dwarf snakehead?
yes

Snakeheads are predators and will eat anything that fits in their mouth. I wouldn't keep them with any fish that wasn't at least the same size as the snakehead or bigger. And preferably keep it on its own. They are just plain angry nasty fish.

The rainbow snakehead or Channa Bleheri also needs a winter cooling to around 17-19 degrees, these fish do not require heat in the tank.

As for tank mates these will only stress the fish out or result in loss of fish.

Hope this helps!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back