DWARF Puffers: Surfers?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LiquidLife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We've had our little dwarf puffers for about 6 weeks now and they seem to be doing fairly well. However, they are in an Eclipse tank so the water current is pretty strong. The puffers tend to stay lost in the plants and behind the rocks/pots so we don't get to see them that well. So, do dwarf puffers prefer a gentler water current or do they like a strong water current? Thanks.

Mine will play in the water current my filter makes, but usually they either move slowly through my tank, or in fast, jerky movements, stopping at the end of each burst. It seems like they like little water current.

Another possibility is that they have already set up territories and just want to stay in them.

territory could be a factor. i've noticed that mine prefer to avoid the current, they'll swim into it and i swear they get this "whoops!" surprised look, like when youre walking down an icy sidewalk and you slip????......................
mine tend to hide when the lights are out but become much more active when they are turned on.........................

Mine prefer to stay out of the current although I will catch them "playing" in it from time to time :D

Since their food was just whooshing through the tank and up into the filter before teh little puffs could catch them, I decided to take out the Eclipse filter and put in a Penn Plex Small World filter instead--much gentler bubbling. The puffers seem to like this much better. It takes the worms a lot longer to make it to shelter, the brine shrimp and daphnia are catchable. They still like to get lost in their plants but now at least a couple of them seem to be pairing off and I can see them eyeing the snails. Thanks everyone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back