Dwarf Puffers Not Eating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
I got two Dwarf Puffers last night, and they've been perfectly angels...until a few minutes ago. Neither one will eat the bloodworms, and now one is starting to nip at my platy. I was thinking about getting live brine shrimp, but I don't know if they do alright in freshwater, or how long it takes them to hatch. They nipped at the small snails I had in there once or twice, but that's been it. I need some advice...quick. :unsure:

Unfortunately its in puffers nature to be nippy,for this reason its best to keep them in species tanks,any snails you have are probably doomed!Most species of puffer feed on snails.I dont quite get what you mean about the brine shrimp doing alright in f/w,they're food as soon as you put them in the fish eat them so it dosen't matter.As for hatching them this is relatively simple,just put the eggs into a bottle of salt solution and aerate with a air stone and pump and they hatch within a few hours.

Actually, the nipping has stopped. After the second time, the platy went after the puffer, and there hasn't been a problem since. I was hoping they'd eat the snails, but they haven't shown must interest in them...and as for the brine shrimp, I thought maybe I'd have better luck with live food, so I was wondering if the brine shrimp would die in fresh water right away.

The brineshrimp will live long enough to be eaten so no worries there,if your lfs stocks live foods you could also try live bloodworm,glassworm and daphnia.Tubifix,if you can get it,makes a good occasional treat as do chopped up pieces of earthworm (if you have the stomach for chopping them).Barbs would probably make better tankmates for puffers than platties as they nip back but since your platty seems to have some killer instinct he should be ok :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back