Dwarf Puffer Theoretical Tankmates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Echinoderm

Reaction score
I know many people on this forum have been strict on the issue of DP tankmates.

So far, I have heard Otos, or maybe shrimp, but nothing else.

Can anyone here actually tell me if they have tried mixing DPs with other fish? Is everyone is getting information from the same source?

Currently, I have three DPs in a 15USG. I want to add some more life to the tank, but I don't really care for Otos. What about a Dwarf Gourami? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they in the same biotope? They also seem like fish that can hold their own.

How about those cute little The rainbow/redfin sharks? Clown Loaches maybe?

I could be wrong. If I am, I would like to be proven so with actual evidence and experimentation instead of a guess.

If I can't get anything else, I will probably just go for some shrimp.

Thank you.

Hi Echinoderm

Sounds like a lovely little setup you've got there!
Mixing Dwarf Puffers with any other fish can be very very difficult. Mainly, due to the fact that every puffer has a different personalitity.
Mixing them with shrimp is certainly a no - you really cannot trust the puffers to live with what is essential their food.
Clown loaches are also out of the question, for two reasons, firstly, your tank is way way way to small for clown and secondly, as the loaches get bigger, they will start to pick off the dwarf puffers. Dito with the Redfin Sharks.
Dwarf Gourami's wouldn't be recommeneded either, mainly due to the long pectoral fins that the puffers would nip without question. Plus, you couldn't trust the Dwarf Gourami's not to munch on smaller Dwarf Puffers.
Generally, only a small few fast-swimming, short-finned fish will live alongside DP's, but never happily.
If you are finding that the Dwarf Puffers aren't providing enough entertainment for you in the tank then I would suggest re-homing them and starting again with a community tank :good:

P.S. This doesn't come from theory, this comes from years of working in the trade and being a dp keeper myself.

Cheers, Tim

I can tell you from my experience of keeping DPs and trying a few unusual tankmates, the only success I've really had has been bumblebee gobies, bigger puffers, and BN Plecs. There were quite a few casualties from my various attempts!

I just went to my LFS today and got two Juhli Cories and one DP.

There seemes to be no interaction between the now four puffers and 2 cories.

I guess this is a good mix.

Thanks for the advice.

I can tell you from my experience of keeping DPs and trying a few unusual tankmates, the only success I've really had has been bumblebee gobies, bigger puffers, and BN Plecs. There were quite a few casualties from my various attempts!

You said you were able to keep DPs with bigger puffers? Which are you talking talking about? Red Eyes? I would be very interested in trying this but my LFS guy said that a bigger puffer would just eat the DPs.

Btw, if you havn't seen my new post, I just got two Cories and one more DP and they seem to have no interaction. I guess this is an OK mix.

Thanks

This is just personal experience. When I first got my DPs (without researching first), they attacked my dwarf corys. The corys ended up with badly nipped dorsal fins. It takes time for DPs to get comfy in their new environment. Sometimes weeks or even months before they attack other fish so keep a close eye on them :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back