Dwarf Puffer Planted Tank Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Woody777

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
Need some advice from more experienced folks on this site.

I am currently setting up a new 10 Gallon tank for Dwarf Puffers and wanted to gain some clarity on my water parameters.

My current setup:
- Top Fin Essentials Starter Kit (10 Gallon)
- Modified TF 10 Filter with intake valve sponge, filter sponge, ceramic beads)
- Small sponge filter added for additional filtration
- Coarse white sand substrate
- Couple of rocks and some spider wood
- Easy freshwater plant variety bundle (on its way, so there will be plenty of hiding places and dense foliage)
- API root tabs and API liquid fertilizer (dosed weekly)
- Co2 injection (ceramic disk with bubble counter and small co2 tank... nothing fancy)
- water heater set at 78F

Current Water Parameters:
pH ~6.6
dH ~2-3
kH ~4-5
Temp ~78

I am currently cycling the tank with pure liquid ammonia so no need to post those numbers, but I will wait until the cycle is complete and stable for adding fish (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <20)

_________

May main concern is the stock LED lights that come with the Top Fin tank, as well as my pH and water hardness.

I want to have a heavily planted tank with 2 dwarf puffers and some RCS or Amano shrimp, in the end.
______

I welcome all comments, questions, advice, AND criticisms!

Last edited:
The GH, KH and pH...are these values for your source water (tap) on its own? Or the water in the tank (which could be affected by CO2, etc)?

In the middle of the process. The numbers are water after itā€™s been in the tank for a bit with driftwood, but before I added the Co2. I am going to do a full spectrum water test tonight. For the past week I have just been monitoring Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates.

Good idea though to test the tap on its own as well just to see what the effect of my own inputs have been.

Hey everybody,
Need some advice from more experienced folks on this site.

I am currently setting up a new 10 Gallon tank for Dwarf Puffers and wanted to gain some clarity on my water parameters.

My current setup:
- Top Fin Essentials Starter Kit (10 Gallon)
- Modified TF 10 Filter with intake valve sponge, filter sponge, ceramic beads)
- Small sponge filter added for additional filtration
- Coarse white sand substrate
- Couple of rocks and some spider wood
- Easy freshwater plant variety bundle (on its way, so there will be plenty of hiding places and dense foliage)
- API root tabs and API liquid fertilizer (dosed weekly)
- Co2 injection (ceramic disk with bubble counter and small co2 tank... nothing fancy)
- water heater set at 78F

Current Water Parameters:
pH ~6.6
dH ~2-3
kH ~4-5
Temp ~78

I am currently cycling the tank with pure liquid ammonia so no need to post those numbers, but I will wait until the cycle is complete and stable for adding fish (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <20)

_________

May main concern is the stock LED lights that come with the Top Fin tank, as well as my pH and water hardness.

I want to have a heavily planted tank with 2 dwarf puffers and some RCS or Amano shrimp, in the end.
______

I welcome all comments, questions, advice, AND criticisms!
I strongly suggest you rethink the idea of putting shrimp in with these puffers. When I got my puffers, I introduced 4 RCS into their tank and currently, two months later i have 1 left. They are ruthless little fish and will tear most things apart no matter how big or small. Despite amanos being larger, they are also likely to be chomped by the puffers, I can tell you first hand. There are not really any compatible tank mates for dwarf puffers. However, some people have success with Otocinclis , which will need an established tank with readily available algae, and some say Rocket Panchax, but I personally have never tried this combination and donā€™t know anyone who has.

I strongly suggest you rethink the idea of putting shrimp in with these puffers. When I got my puffers, I introduced 4 RCS into their tank and currently, two months later i have 1 left. They are ruthless little fish and will tear most things apart no matter how big or small. Despite amanos being larger, they are also likely to be chomped by the puffers, I can tell you first hand. There are not really any compatible tank mates for dwarf puffers. However, some people have success with Otocinclis , which will need an established tank with readily available algae, and some say Rocket Panchax, but I personally have never tried this combination and donā€™t know anyone who has.
Yea it seems like a toss up. Really it will come down to the size of each available at the LFS... if Iā€™ve got 1/4ā€ RCS in with 1ā€ DP, obviously we know how that story will go. Good input though. Much appreciated!

Yea it seems like a toss up. Really it will come down to the size of each available at the LFS... if Iā€™ve got 1/4ā€ RCS in with 1ā€ DP, obviously we know how that story will go. Good input though. Much appreciated!
You could get lucky and get some very docile puffers though. I wouldnā€™t waste the time and money but of course if you want to experiment with it keep me updated.

In the middle of the process. The numbers are water after itā€™s been in the tank for a bit with driftwood, but before I added the Co2. I am going to do a full spectrum water test tonight. For the past week I have just been monitoring Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates.

Good idea though to test the tap on its own as well just to see what the effect of my own inputs have been.

I will wait for the tap water test results, but I can say that my reason for asking is that the GH and pH given in post #1 is low for the dwarf puffer, species being Carinotetraodon travancoricus. It is relatively easy to raise these, but the tap water may be there or closer already. Ranges for this species are here:

Most reactions

Back