Dwarf Puffer Nano Tank - Thoughts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Electric Warrior

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, so i have been thinking about setting up a nano tank for a dwarf puffer as another little project. Was thinking of something like the Fluval Flora because it's seems like a nice little tank and it's supposed to be geared towards planted, which is what I would like to do http://www.fluvalblo...flora-up-close/ . It comes with a C02 kit, the substrate, a background, etc. It's 7.9G/30L, this would be suitable to house a single dwarf puffer as far as I am aware? I intend on planting it pretty heavily, and adding some rocks and wood as well. Do you think that this could be a good setup for a dwarf? I obviously would be looking at sourcing a nano heater, as this this tank doesn't come with one. Anyone have an experience with this tank? The only concern I have is the small internal filter that it comes with. I know puffers need pristine water and can be messy, so I was thinking of a small external instead, but I have read some reviews where people said that the setup makes the addition of an external quite difficult? I was thinking of something along the lines of the Eheim aquacompact 40, or similar, which looks like it could do the job. Any thoughts, experiences, and could it work okay?

I'd say that was a decent size for a DP. I can't comment on the rest of it.

Okay thanks. I really like the look of the tank itself, just more concerned with the possibility of being able to add a small external. It seems like it would maybe need to go lidless. How bad are dp's at jumping?
blink.png

Frankly I do not know. A quick google gives 'mixed' results, PFK say they jump when startled, but many forum posts suggest they don't startle that easily and that you should be ok. Floating plants are useful in this regard, and give them places to hide should they feel the need.

I'd love to have a small DP tank like the one you're suggesting, not enough money or space though :/.

I remember something similar to this before but I honestly can't remember if it was a DP or a Figure 8 being talked about.. I'll be following this post though because I'd like to set this up sometime :)

Well, a figure 8 needs a bit of a larger tank as far as I am aware, and they need to be in brackish water, so I am more interested in the smaller tank which only a dwarf would be suitable in. I may give brackish a try someday if I have more space for a larger tank, but for now, I already have a 200L, and not much room left in my two bedroom flat. This tank is basically like 1 ft x 1 ft by 1.3 ft, abouts.

Yeah they do, being just generally bigger haha. But yeah, I'd like a small DP tank

Do keep us updated, are you still concerned about jumping?

I am still planning on doing this but it wont be until after the new year... And yeah, I am still trying to figure out the jumping thing, but I will probably just have to wait and see.

It really does seem that it's a matter of making them feel secure enough in the tank, to not jump out *if* they get spooked. from what I can gather.

Yeah, I am planning on heavily planting it, and wood/rocks, etc., so I think it should be okay....

Hi - I agree with your concerns, I have 45L with a Fluval U1 (rated for 55L) and it struggles keep the water clear - they are really messy little things! Its a heavily planted tank with CO2

As for jumping - I have seen them splash a little but not a lot, I have an open top (for 3 years now) and never had a loss from jumping. Actually I haven't had a DP die - I keep 3 with some Ottos, Shrimp and some tiny Phoenix Rasbora's. They all seem happy!

Of course you can have some ottos/shrimp to help keep the tank tidy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back