Dwarf puffer- is my tank suitable?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelp23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have fully cycled but empty ( apart from pest snails) tank. It's around 35 litres ( 7.5 us gallons) would this be suitable for a dwarf puffer. I've read so much conflicting info about whether they should be kept alone or in groups of 6 minimum I now don't know what to do. Thanks

The only thing I know is Puffer fish is quite a carnivore.
It will kill all your snails.
You can't have any snails or small fish with Puffer.

It's quite nippy as it will nip the fins of other fish.
Even among themselves, they will nip each other tail and fins.

The only thing I know is Puffer fish is quite a carnivore.
It will kill all your snails.
You can't have any snails or small fish with Puffer.

It's quite nippy as it will nip the fins of other fish.
Even among themselves, they will nip each other tail and fins.
I thought the snails would be like an all you can eat buffet for them :) there would be no other fish in the tank.

Hi, I have fully cycled but empty ( apart from pest snails) tank. It's around 35 litres ( 7.5 us gallons) would this be suitable for a dwarf puffer. I've read so much conflicting info about whether they should be kept alone or in groups of 6 minimum I now don't know what to do. Thanks
Yes. They need about 10 litres per fish so you could add three. They will enjoy the snails but not eat flakes. Ensure a supply of fresh or frozen live foods.

Yes. They need about 10 litres per fish so you could add three. They will enjoy the snails but not eat flakes. Ensure a supply of fresh or frozen live foods.
That's important. They need a constant source of food and some will not touch food that is not actually alive. May be worth setting up a separate bucket / tub for breeding snails to ensure you always have food available. Note that MTS are not suitable as their shells are too hard and can damage the teeth.

I'm in the "They prefer larger groups" camp - I started with 3 and it was fine and all, but when I added some more they just because so much more active.

Yes, 3 I’m a group of perfect IMO.

I do also agree with making sure you have a separate food source. Get a bucket or small tank, and start breedings snails. Get a few adults, and feed the, every night. (Remove any uneaten food to keep your nitrate levels down)

After a little while, you will have a ton of snails.

The tank I am putting them in is currently covered in snails so I'll take some out and get them breeding in another little tank. Will they also eat bloodworm etc?

The tank I am putting them in is currently covered in snails so I'll take some out and get them breeding in another little tank. Will they also eat bloodworm etc?
Yes, here is what SF says:

“As is the case with with most puffers, this species relishes all kinds of shellfish, as well as worms and other live and frozen foods. It should be fed small snails (shell on) regularly, in order to maintain its sharp teeth. Dried foods are not usually accepted.“

(https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/carinotetraodon-travancoricus/#notes)

Last edited:
Brill, I'm going to turn my tank into a heavily planted adventure playground and continue the search for some Puffers. Can't find any anywhere

It should be fed small snails (shell on) regularly, in order to maintain its sharp teeth. As with other puffers, these grow continuously and become a problem for the fish if they’re not kept ground down.
Snails are a great food - but I don't think Pea Puffers teeth continually grow in the same way most others do.

I thought the snails would be like an all you can eat buffet for them :) there would be no other fish in the tank.
You might want to get other food just in case as they can be picky. Black worms are a good choice if they won’t take snails

You might want to get other food just in case as they can be picky. Black worms are a good choice if they won’t take snails
I was thinking of getting a sea monkey set up and using that too feed then.. is this suitable food?

I was thinking of getting a sea monkey set up and using that too feed then.. is this suitable food?
I don’t really know, when I had mine, all he ate were blackworms, but that might be a viable option ^_^

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back