Dwarf Puffer Care And Experiences

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have a male and a female, they are truly wonderful, the best fish I own BY FAR!!!! 

I would be VERY VERY careful with plecos or corycats, I have heard of these guys taking a turn for the agressive side once entering adulthood.  I do know people have had much more success with the otto cats as they occur in the same river in India and coexist with dwarf puffers in nature.   I generally keep snails in the tank at all times, as my tank is nice and heavily planted. When the snails get into a good hiding place they are hard to find, and with these puffers I have noticed out of sight is out of mind for them so they forget what they were looking for.   I have had a lot of luck with live brine shrimp, you can gut load them with some good nutrients, and they puffers LOVE LOVE LOVE to chase them down and eat them.

I have noticed with the snails, they have a hard time eating enough of the snail to really fatten their bellies like they get with frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp.

Also, If it is possible with your LFS, I would grab more than you needed, so that you can make sure you get a ratio of 1 male to 2 females, and bring the rest back to them.  1 male and 2-3 females is the ratio you are trying to achieve with these guys, that will result in the most peaceful congregation you can get.

As someone already stated- Dwarf Puffers are not brackish, unlike green spotted puffers/figure 8 puffers :D

yes  know im waiting for one of the mods to move this

I too am heavily considering making a heavily planted aquarium with 2-3 dwarf puffer in my 10G. Any special wood they like to have in their tank to break up eye line? I am also very interested in breeding them. :) I hear java moss or willow moss are very good at housing their eggs and fry.

Thank you for that, I didn't really understand which plants they were outlining in it though. Can anyone help?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back