Dwarf Pencilfish Tankmates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mantella

Reaction score
I'm keeping 12 Nannostomus marginatus in an 8 gallon (8in tall and wide 30in long). Previously i had 14, but I did a decor switch and added a bunch of oak leaves. This unfortunately basically caused a re-cycle, and I definitely lost 2 fish to dropsy. The re-cycle happened during finals week so I may have lost other fish. I just did a recount and only got 11 but I could have missed one (they're so Darn fast). Is there room for any low bioload fish besides a restock of marginatus? I'm thinking along the lines of a solo or small school. Maybe there are tetras that will school with marginatus?

How about micro rasboras?

Nannostomus marginatus are tiny fish so you'd be best keeping them in a large group on their own. That said, any of the dwarf Corydoras such as Corydoras habrosus could work (assuming the tank wasn't too warm, around 24 C) or else any of the Rineloricaria whiptails. Marbled Hatchetfish would be suitable surface-dwellers. If you don't mind breaking the South American theme, then yes, Boraras species would be suitable, as would Ricefish or even Threadfin Rainbowfish. Kuhli Loaches would be fine too, and if you could feed them adequately well, Dario spp.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't mind breaking the South American thing as the tank has crypts and rocks. It started as one thing then ended up as another because of the price and availability of certain fish. Kuhli Loaches, Threadfin Rainbows, and Rineloricaria are my favorites of the ones suggested. I have fluorite sand with normal fluorite speckled throughout so the Kuhlis should be properly accommodated. I am a bit unsure on the exact stoking numbers. I was thinking 1 Rineloricaria, 3-4 Kuhli Loaches, 3-4 Threadfin Rainbows. Are those good numbers?

Here is the tank. Sorry about the terrible quality on the last few. I think I got moisture in the camera on my iPod touch the last time I went snowboarding. Also, the first one was taken with my friends camera not an iPod.

Before disastrous rescape:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87480148@N06/8041694268/

After the rescape was undone (the plants did not fair well through the rescape either):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87480148@N06/8304205147/

I'd be wary of keeping burrowing catfish like Whiptails on fluorite sand on the basis that "sharp" sand can cause them problems. But if the sand feels soft and smooth, you might be okay.

An 8-gallon tank is smaller than I'd use for Threadfins; I didn't think about that aspect when replying earlier. But a dozen Pencilfish together with 6-8 dwarf Corydoras should be okay, or else a trio of Kuhli loaches. While I like 8-gallon tanks of the sort you describe (I have one on a windowsill as a place to rear fry) they're easily overstocked, so be careful with how many fish you add. Small tanks are most fun when you can leave them alone to settle into tiny slices of aquatic habitat; if you're constantly fiddling with them to keep water quality acceptable they can easily become annoying.

Cheers, Neale

I think a shoal of dwarf Corydoras would be the best choice then. It'll probably make the tank look the most cohesive as well. The tank's so long that shoals of fish look the best.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back