Dwarf & Pearl Gourami's

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

russkev

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I've just placed 2 Pearl Gourami's into my tank as well as a Male Dwarf Gourami and an existing female. Now have just placed a Algae wafer in the tank for the Pleco that I also have and have just witnessed the Pearl fighting the 2 Dwarf's. Is is normal that they squabble as I have read that both are calm fish !

Any thoughts ?

Kevin

Yes, you should expect some squabbles. However, they should not be too severe - how large is your tank?

Hello!

Yes they could get along. But the territory thing might get to them. They will chase eachother once in a while to kick them out of there turf. But other then a few chases they should be OK! ;)

Hi russkev :)

Contrary to what you have read, male gouramis, including pearls, are not calm fish. If you have a male, chances are good that you will eventually run into aggression problems with it. :/ I have one that has the entire top of a 55 gallon tank to himself, but he still goes out of his way to chase the corys on the bottom.

While an occasional chase is not a problem, it one of your gouramis is overly aggressive toward the others, over a period of time, you will have to do something about it. The stress he could give the others might eventually lead to a decline in their health and eventual death.

As a rule, females will live together much more peacefully than males, and if you like gouramis I would suggest that you stick with them. :D

I agree with Inchworm, almost all Trichogaster can be agressive (and in my experience especially towards dwarfs). Almost everyone of my dwarves lost their life to my female pearl gourami. It was too late when I found out it was she who was responsible; for the longest time I blamed it on my leporinus until I caught the pearl beating up my red-flame dwarf. For the most part pearls can be agressive towards dwarves, but there are some very peaceful individuals.

While I agree with what Inchworm said about a male pearl being capeable of aggression, let me point out something - both of the last posters seem to have experienced agression with single fish. This is not unusual at all. Lone pearl gouramies are very likely to go after other fish and pearls generaly do much, much better when kept with others of their kind. Mind you, I too have kept a male pearl in the past who was extremely aggressive towards all other gouramies. However, of the countless pearls I have kept, he was an exception.

Also, it's not a good idea to generalise with 'trichogasters'. Three-spots are far more aggressive than pearls, moonlights or, even IMO, snakeskins. Also, keep in mind that the genus name was assigned by us, people - even honey gouramies (colisa chuna/sota) were once placed in this genus and banded and thick-lipped gouramies (c. fasciata and c. labiosa respectively) are often classed as trichogaster as well. This does not change their disposition.

I also have to doubt what you said Cooky_luvs. While you may have seen the female pearl picking on your dwarf gourami, which is not unusual, leporinus undoubtedly pose a much greater threat and were probably more responsible for what happened than the female. I also have to ask why you didn't do anything about the dwarf if you had known something was wrong 'for the longest time' and I'm wondering why it was 'already too late' when you noticed the pearl picking on him. I'm not trying to imply you are a bad fish-keeper or anything, BTW, it's just that it sounds like, actualy, the pearl was simply picking on him because he was weak.

Once again, I'd like to know the tank's size. It's best to allow 10 gallons per gourami and both pearls and dwarfs do better when kept as trios as males chase females around and can cause the females a huge amount of stress if there's only one as he'll constantly be conentrating on her. Also, the more females of their own kind they have, the less likely the males are to go after different fish.

BTW, the aggression you experienced was while the fish were feeding. To avoid a repeat of the squabbling, try to not concentrate the feeding in one place. For example, if you want to feed an algae pellet, split it in half and put each a small distance away from the other so the fish divide between the two and there is less competition.

I also have to doubt what you said Cooky_luvs. While you may have seen the female pearl picking on your dwarf gourami, which is not unusual, leporinus undoubtedly pose a much greater threat and were probably more responsible for what happened than the female. I also have to ask why you didn't do anything about the dwarf if you had known something was wrong 'for the longest time' and I'm wondering why it was 'already too late' when you noticed the pearl picking on him. I'm not trying to imply you are a bad fish-keeper or anything, BTW, it's just that it sounds like, actualy, the pearl was simply picking on him because he was weak.

It says there that she killed 'several' dwarves. There was 3 originally, and I never noticed anything was wrong because they had no nips or cuts but seemed to just waste away. (A leporinus will leave marks) She must have been chasing them at night but towards the end she started chasing them in the day as well, when I noticed the behavior all dwarves were moved to my 5 gallon medical tank but did not make it for long.

The pearl was originally added to the tank because my male Pearl Gourami who was never mean to everyone for some reason decided to start beating her up got her stressed to the point of getting cloudy eye. Once recovered in the medical tank she moved in to the 55 as an experiment and besides killing off my dwarves she's been doing great in there. So yes in my experience, Pearls can be quite aggressive.

One more thing the leporinus at that time were only about 2 inches and were much more shy and timid then they are now (leporinus agression only appears with age). They never have bothered their tank mates until they started growing, they only ever harrased a chinese algae eater and ate 2 danios (which no longer live in that tank).

~Danielle

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back