Dwarf Gouramy colors

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ive

Reaction score
Hello!
It is about 2 weeks that my male dwarf gouramy shows a paler color. It is almost light gray with some ligth orange lines. He is no longer interested in harassing the female gouramy. Water parameters are ok. He is eating very well. I give my fishes a variety of food. He looks healthy. He is not hiding. The only change in the tank is the introduction of 3 red eye tetras. Is it normal? -_-

What kind of gourami is he, Ive?

What size is your tank? Is there any interaction between him and the new fish?
If he isn't hiding and is eating a variety of foods that's good. Are his fins erect and, except for his color does he look normal--no torn fins, etc.?

Maybe his "faded" color is his natural color? I have read that male dwarf gouramis turn brighter when they are in breeding condition. If he was with a female of the species that could be a possibility. If the male is no longer harassing the female that could add to the possibility that he was in breeding colors.

Guppymonkey and Inchworm, thanks for your reply! :*

His normal look is like this one http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/glalia.html . Sometimes he shows areas of a darker blue.
Mine is a 20 g, 3 month from stablished tank. I know it is overpopulated, but believe me, I am very careful about the water quality and all fishes look fine. He lost part of one of his "tactil fins" but it is quickly growing again. I think the culprit are the red eyes because they are so hyper. I changed those red eyes from a 10 g to this 20 g because they didn't belong to the peaceful ambient in the tank (a betta, 2 corys and a school of neons tetras).
Do you think he is breeding? There is no bubble nest...
Maybe I am worrying too much...

Hello Ive. :)

Seeing that your fish are the original Dwarf Gouramis, let me rule out the most obvious thing first. You are sure it is a male, aren't you? The females are a lighter color than the males, with these, and while they can get brighter when breeding, they are normaly the color of a faded out male. :unsure:

I doubt if he is breeding. Gouramis will not usually breed in a community tank and if he was he would get darker and brighter, not lighter. (very beautiful)

If he has been injured, it is probably due to stress. I suggest you find another home for the tetras or the gouramis. :eek:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back