Dwarf Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well, I've been looking at Flame Gs and Blues. Does anyone know if the same affliction applies to them? I'd really like to have some color in my tank.

Well, I've been looking at Flame Gs and Blues. Does anyone know if the same affliction applies to them? I'd really like to have some color in my tank.

Flame Gs are a color morph of the dwarf gourami, so they absolutely can carry the virus. Powder blues are also a color morph, so the same thing applies.

If you mean blue gouramis, though, they're different- they're bigger than the dwarf gouramis, and from my understanding aren't at risk for the virus.

Here's some information on them: http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/gourami/p/bluegourami.htm

I've seen them at Petsmart, but I have heard they can be aggressive toward other fish (but then so was my dwarf...he was a terror!). Just be aware that that a powder blue gourami and a blue gourami are completely different fish.

I've decided that I'll go with sparkling gouramis in the future- they're one of the smaller ones, and while they aren't as flashy and colorful, I kind of like that they're understated.

I just got my gouramis. A honey gouramis. He seems to be doing okay. i mean it's luck right?

I don't understand what you guys are saying about "gouramis disease". I have kept bettas in the past and they were... I had as much luck as some of you guys had with gouramis. Now I have gouramis. Well one. (Gourami?)

I think it's not just that, it's how stressed they get and have gotten.

Think about this. Fish sores acquire fish from Southern states or Western states. (US) and so... They can be from California, bagged/boxed, then to a checking spot where they are examined (from what I understand), then to the fish stores. In 2 days. they go through this. It's stressful. That's why the guy at my LFS said never buy fish in the winter. But still a lot of stress.

But what's this disease? I don't want to lose my first gouramis. And I'm not sure with pairs because I have no idea what the gender is.

I just got my gouramis. A honey gouramis. He seems to be doing okay. i mean it's luck right?

I don't understand what you guys are saying about "gouramis disease". I have kept bettas in the past and they were... I had as much luck as some of you guys had with gouramis. Now I have gouramis. Well one. (Gourami?)

I think it's not just that, it's how stressed they get and have gotten.

Think about this. Fish sores acquire fish from Southern states or Western states. (US) and so... They can be from California, bagged/boxed, then to a checking spot where they are examined (from what I understand), then to the fish stores. In 2 days. they go through this. It's stressful. That's why the guy at my LFS said never buy fish in the winter. But still a lot of stress.

But what's this disease? I don't want to lose my first gouramis. And I'm not sure with pairs because I have no idea what the gender is.

It's not luck. Most fish are treated the same way you describe and live long and happy lives if given the correct care. Dwarf gouramis have been inbred so much that the line has weakened and they are now super susceptible to a fatal disease which is commonly called dwarf gourami disease. It's a slow and painful death for the fish.

You really should do some more research on gouramis. They should be kept in multiples, not just one. And you can google things like "female honey gourami" and specify the images, so you can see what they look like. Honey gouramis don't seem to contract the disease as much.

I had a total of six dwarf gouramis that all died within a couple of months of the disease. Loved those little guys but I'm guessing I won't get any more.

I have to dwarf Gs in my tank. I have had them for almost a month and haven't ran into a single problem. Them swim around all day hang out at the top some sometimes and graze on whatever algae they can find. I am feeding them tropical fish flakes, they snack on the frozen nutrition cubes i give my Discus, plus I intend on buying some freeze dried brine shrimp for every one as a snack. Is this a good nutrition? I want them to be healthy. & before anyone makes this comment, I know discus and DGs aren't perfect tank mates, but i am adjusting the temp slowly down from Discus temps as a compromise to both. They all are doing great right now at 85 degreesF. :good:

Hi ,i lost three females within 3 weeks ,also the lfs was having problems with them ,originally bought 1 m ,2 f ,but male was quite aggresive with them ,he kept chasing and butting them ,but i`ve now got 1 m and 1f , and there`s no agression between my m. and f.Good luck if you decide to get any.

i have 2 dwarf flame gouramis in my 4 foot tank, their allways hiding behind rocks and driftwood and very rarely eat, they do not bother my other fish they just seem to do nothing, im worried that they will starve to death :/

i have 2 dwarf flame gouramis in my 4 foot tank, their allways hiding behind rocks and driftwood and very rarely eat, they do not bother my other fish they just seem to do nothing, im worried that they will starve to death :/

Go get some plants that will float on the surface, like hornwort or cabomba. They're surface dwellers and need cover on the surface.

I guess I don't really have advice as to judging whether dwarfs are healthy in shops etc, but I'm just giving my 2p worth :p

I've had my dwarf gourami for about a year now and he seems as healthy as ever. No sores, no lethargy, the only wound he's ever had was when someone bit one of his feelers off.

He did have a mrs but she was always very shy, she died of unknown causes about 6 months after we got her, no wounds or anything, we figured he just stressed her out too much or something.

Good luck either way!

I,m thinking of getting a dwarf Gourami . can they live solo? i have a 5gal with 3 1/2 inch tetras with very little fins not sure of tetras species though its densely planted would this be a OK place for a Gourami or 2?i need answer by 10hours if possible thanks :hey:

I,m thinking of getting a dwarf Gourami . can they live solo? i have a 5gal with 3 1/2 inch tetras with very little fins not sure of tetras species though its densely planted would this be a OK place for a Gourami or 2?i need answer by 10hours if possible thanks :hey:

wow i just relied how many posts some people have..

wow i just relied how many posts some people have..

A 5g is much, much too small for a gourami, dwarf or otherwise. You should have at the very least a 20g, preferrably bigger.

can someone post some close up pics of gouramis

ok thanks the old spouse you probably just saved a dwarf gouramis life

Ive kept dwarf G's before, I was still inexperienced and didnt notice they were suffering from disease, its wierd, i cant remember the name but its alot like how parrot cichlids are incredibly susceptible to hole in the head when they go into a new tank. Dwarfs are susceptible to a strange disease too. Just keep a close watch on them and make sure that you have anti internal bacterial stuff ready and available too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back