Dwarf Gourami --- ?

Having had over 20 in the past 4 years I'm done with them they frustrate me to no end.
Not all died to an illness, some were lost keeping them as a group(1 male 3 females) but most died after a few months appearing to be healthy until they weren't.
Having done some not insignificant research amongst fishy forums, many of the so-called virus deaths could be attributed, just as easily, to poor fish care.
100% this could be and likely is a factor however, there is something seriously wrong with a large portion of the fish available.

As long as LFS's sell fish like these (and the one in the background) there is something wrong. For the record : it was Colisa lalia and now is Trichogaster lalius.

Attachments

• 20211023_121822.jpg
    20211023_121822.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 59
Having had over 20 in the past 4 years I'm done with them they frustrate me to no end.
Not all died to an illness, some were lost keeping them as a group(1 male 3 females) but most died after a few months appearing to be healthy until they weren't.

100% this could be and likely is a factor however, there is something seriously wrong with a large portion of the fish available.
I personally think the way of breeding is still culprit. The overuse of meds and antibiotics cause a kibd of sterile environment. When these fish hit "our water" with normal bacterial life etc.... they aren't able to cope with that.
A weak immunesystem caused by this (if not the virus)

Aren't alot of issues with fish in general, not just with DG's (and Betta) down to the thinning of bloodline?

A breeder/seller gets a fish with truly stunning colour and basically turns it into the fish equivalent of a puppy farm and breeds, breeds, breeds that fish until its a sunken wreck of its former self, so abused, so drained of every body defence which is passed on to the fry it is producing

Let's not kid ourselves here. The brighter and bolder the colour the better...whether it is natural or through genetic manipulation....it brings in more money to that breeder/seller and bottom line is all that many breeder/sellers are ever interested in. They do not give a rats behind about the health or welfare, all they care about is their bank account getting filled by the sale of fish that have the best colours, the most unique colour combinations etc

They do not care if the fish dies in transit to the customer cos once its been paid for, its not their concern (in their mind), they don't care if the fish dies days, weeks or even months after arriving in the customer's aquarium cos they can always blame "lack of care" of the customer. It's a case of "oh it was absolutely fine with me, it was absolutely fine when I packed it....has to be you...has to be your water quality"

When in all probability its was the breeeder/seller getting greedy cos a fish came along with more vivid colours than expected and they decided to not only do as @DoubleDutch rightly stated in using every medication on earth to keep it looking pretty and to keep it able to reproduce at all costs, ending up with fry with not just a body that if it catches an illness or disease the over medication of the parent and fry aquarium has killed all chance of fighting disease and illness but the poor blighter has a destroyed bloodline too thanks to the parent being overbred til its fins drop off...and all cos the breeder/seller wanted to make money off that unusually bright colouration etc

Aren't alot of issues with fish in general, not just with DG's (and Betta) down to the thinning of bloodline?

A breeder/seller gets a fish with truly stunning colour and basically turns it into the fish equivalent of a puppy farm and breeds, breeds, breeds that fish until its a sunken wreck of its former self, so abused, so drained of every body defence which is passed on to the fry it is producing

Let's not kid ourselves here. The brighter and bolder the colour the better...whether it is natural or through genetic manipulation....it brings in more money to that breeder/seller and bottom line is all that many breeder/sellers are ever interested in. They do not give a rats behind about the health or welfare, all they care about is their bank account getting filled by the sale of fish that have the best colours, the most unique colour combinations etc

They do not care if the fish dies in transit to the customer cos once its been paid for, its not their concern (in their mind), they don't care if the fish dies days, weeks or even months after arriving in the customer's aquarium cos they can always blame "lack of care" of the customer. It's a case of "oh it was absolutely fine with me, it was absolutely fine when I packed it....has to be you...has to be your water quality"

When in all probability its was the breeeder/seller getting greedy cos a fish came along with more vivid colours than expected and they decided to not only do as @DoubleDutch rightly stated in using every medication on earth to keep it looking pretty and to keep it able to reproduce at all costs, ending up with fry with not just a body that if it catches an illness or disease the over medication of the parent and fry aquarium has killed all chance of fighting disease and illness but the poor blighter has a destroyed bloodline too thanks to the parent being overbred til its fins drop off...and all cos the breeder/seller wanted to make money off that unusually bright colouration etc
Pretty sure that is a big part of the issue!
Fishhealth isn't part of the process anymore.

Pretty sure that is a big part of the issue!
Fishhealth isn't part of the process anymore.
The dark side of fishkeeping....sadly not enough is done to stamp it out, end result is fish that die prematurely from illness and disease that it "should" be able to fight off on its own, without meds in most cases. Bloodlines are so washed out thesedays, its sad and its very frustrating to see such beautiful creatures suffer such preventable harm.

It is the same with the overuse of medications in any animal, including humans, the illness and disease they are made to treat becomes immune from their effect

The dark side of fishkeeping....sadly not enough is done to stamp it out, end result is fish that die prematurely from illness and disease that it "should" be able to fight off on its own, without meds in most cases. Bloodlines are so washed out thesedays, its sad and its very frustrating to see such beautiful creatures suffer such preventable harm.

It is the same with the overuse of medications in any animal, including humans, the illness and disease they are made to treat becomes immune from their effect
Chicken and egg story.

Bloodlines get washed, health deteriorates, meds are used to prevent losses, health worsens further as a result and makes them vunerable for any ordinary bacteria and other infections.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back