Dwarf Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My tank is nearly cycled according to my local store. I have a list of fish that I am going to introduce a week at a time. Can people tell me of any incompatabilities or problems please

8 Neon Tetras
1 Siamese Fighting Fish
4 Albino Cory's
4 Guppies (2 mating pairs
2 Dwarf Gourami's (mating pair)
6 Lemon/X-Ray/Flashlight/Rummy-nosed Tetras (will decide later)

How big do Dwarf Gouramis get, I was told about 2 and a half inches

Any help'd be cool

First, please remind me of the size tank you have..........

Next,

I don't see a problem with your selections, but keep in mind that Gouramis, even dwarfs can be a bit on the testy side.

As far as 2 mating pair of guppies, it may be a better idea to have 1 male and 4 or more females. Keeping 2 males and 2 females will probably only result in one male becoming dominant and keeping the other male at bay so he can breed with both females.

JMO!!

CM

I have a 19 UK gallon tank, is the number of fish okay. Are the female guppies just as attractive as the males?

Thanks

Female guppies aren't usually nearly as pretty as the males, I agree with cichlid masters advice. The dominant male will bully the other one, sometimes even damaging its fins, making it often not a pretty fish either. I found with guppies if you want the pretty ones, don't introduce them to the not fairer sex, and they are a bit nicer to each other, though there is often still a diminant one they aren't as aggressive.

I also found that my dwarf gouramis were on the whole ok, but every now and then would take a nip at my (now ex) siamese fighter, not particularly viciously, but siamese fighters are easy targets because of their long flowing fins, and quite easily damaged.

Make sure you select females with fancy colour tails, I hear the female offspring all have the colouring of their mother and the male offspring are a mixture of colour :). So if you select some females with nice tails then it will continue for generations and trust me guppies will breed :D

As Alex says they may not be quite as pretty as their body colour is dull but you can still get a nice tail on some of them :thumbs:

So, in the whole would you all agree that Dwarf Gouramis are okay to keep. The males in particular look beautiful, and want one fish that stands out from the rest, I just hope they're okay with small fish like non tetras

my dwarf gouramishave started to fight amongst them selves. my coral one yesterday nipped a little chunk out of the side of the honey coloured one. I think i will be getting rid of the 3 that i have in my community tank, they dont seem to do anythign apart from eat my plants. They LOVE the softer leaved plants and wil make them look ugly to look at. My new java ferns are startign to tatter up.

I added a pair of Dwarf Gourami's to my tank after Christmas. I agree the males are colourful but my male was so timid, he was always hiding. He would not even come out to eat. He eventually died due to his self inflicted starvation. I never saw him eat during that whole time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back