Dwarf gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I added my dwarf gourmi in 2nd! He's doin' great! my dwarf gourami is kinda shy and the least-aggresive, so he was a good one to add almost first. :)

i have a powder blue dwarf gourami, a sunset honey blue gourami, a pearl gourami, and two albino paradise. i love gourami's and I find that they are usually a hardy fish that makes a great addition to you tank. Just wait about 2 weeks before adding fish to your new tank (while the filter is running of course and adding a bit of cycle dosnt hurt either to build up you bacterial population in your tank). Have fun

It should be ok...what other fish are you putting in?

Hi JamesTasker, :D

If the tank is cycled, gouramis can be put in anytime. Dwarf or regular size, they might look delicate because they are so graceful, but they are actually pretty tough little fish.

I haven't quite decided yet but I was thinking about tetras (glowlight and neon probably), kuhli loaches :alien: , marbled hatchet fish, a couple of rams and maybe a pair of bristlenosed catfish. Sound OK to you? :fun:

It sounds great to me! :thumbs:

I really like the glowlight tetras. Their lovely coloring is bright yet not as flashy as the neons.

Kuhlii loaches are great fun and you are sure to enjoy them. You might want to look out for horseface loaches. You can mix them up with the kuhliis, and they are so cute.

Good luck with the tank!!!! :nod:

JamesTasker said:
I haven't quite decided yet but I was thinking about tetras (glowlight and neon probably), kuhli loaches :alien: , marbled hatchet fish, a couple of rams and maybe a pair of bristlenosed catfish. Sound OK to you? :fun:
it depends on what size the tank is, tetras do best in a group of 5 or more. i believe the brislnoses get up to 5 inches (correct me if im wrong). im not sure about the loaches or rams. but to have that many fish it would have to be a simi-large tank. id say around 40 gals min.

snowrat2004 said:
it depends on what size the tank is, tetras do best in a group of 5 or more. i believe the brislnoses get up to 5 inches (correct me if im wrong). im not sure about the loaches or rams. but to have that many fish it would have to be a simi-large tank. id say around 40 gals min.
Personally, I'd always have tetras in groups for at least 6, preferably 8 (neons in groups of 8-10). Bristlenoses only grow to about 3-4", but the females are smaller if space it at a premium (3"). Kuhli loaches are very slim and don't take up much space, but as schooling fish you should get at least 6 IMHO. I think a 20 gallon tank would be fine, provided it had reasonable filtration.

With the hatchet fish, neons and a pair of rams, you'd need a 30 gallon. Do check that rams don't eat neons - it seems to me a lot of fish eat neons.

glubglub?

I see you have mixed a pearl gourami with a couple dwarf. any problems? I have a couple dwarf and would like to add a larger pearl but was afraid it would pick on the smaller fish...also have some neons that i don't want to endanger..

any comments welcomed

Thanks for all the advice and info guys :D . My tank is 120 litres or 40 x 12 x 15 inches but I'm not sure about gallons. I'm a Brit y'see. B) Anyway, I'll check out about the rams. I definitely agree that a lot of fish like to snack on neons - a friend of mine had angelfish which ate all his neons and quite a few of his other fish do I'm determined not to make the same mistake. My tank still hasn't finished cycling but I can't wait to add my first fish. :drink:

JamesTasker said:
Thanks for all the advice and info guys :D . My tank is 120 litres or 40 x 12 x 15 inches but I'm not sure about gallons. I'm a Brit y'see. B) Anyway, I'll check out about the rams. I definitely agree that a lot of fish like to snack on neons - a friend of mine had angelfish which ate all his neons and quite a few of his other fish do I'm determined not to make the same mistake. My tank still hasn't finished cycling but I can't wait to add my first fish. :drink:
Your tank is the same size as my livebearer tank, which is 30 US gallons. You can have about 30" of fish in that (not including tails), as a rough estimate. However, that does depend on the type of fish, how territorial they are, the width/depth of the fish, the position in the tank, whether they are air breathers (like gouramis) and the type of filtration.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back