Dwarf gourami with iridovirus for a month?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xWarrior15

Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone please tell me if my dwarf gourami has iridovirus? I treated him with baktopur, but there's no change. He has these wounds getting bigger for about a month now.

He is acting normal, being glutton as always and just happy swimming. I read that Dg's sick with IV usually deteriorate pretty quickly in a matter of days. What could this be and how to treat it?

I am attaching photos of progression. The worst 3 wounds are from today.

Attachments

• 20220608_214809.jpg
    20220608_214809.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220531_155108.jpg
    20220531_155108.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220523_230521.jpg
    20220523_230521.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 32
No, I mean the other gourami is picking on him every once in awhile but when I am watching nothing serious is happening. I mean I don't see them fight. Could he be bitting him and causing him injuries without me knowing?

No, I mean the other gourami is picking on him every once in awhile but when I am watching nothing serious is happening. I mean I don't see them fight. Could he be bitting him and causing him injuries without me knowing?
Yep, could be.

I would think that an attacking fish would go for the weakest point to attack so, if an injury already exists, it would be a primary attack point.
What could I do to be sure? I don't have another aquarium to isolate him into at the moment, cause I am in the process of moving my betta. Could I put the potential bully into breeder box for now?

If you can run an acidic tank almost all of your problems will go away. A slightly acidic tank will solve a lot of the issues you are having.

What could I do to be sure? I don't have another aquarium to isolate him into at the moment, cause I am in the process of moving my betta. Could I put the potential bully into breeder box for now?
Please keep in mind that I don't know your fish and am pretty much guessing but, at a guess, I think your PH is way too high. You now bring a Betta to the situation. Is the Betta currently in the same tank as the injured critter? If so the Betta is likely the problem but I don't think that is your situation.

When you say "breeder box" do you mean a mini enclosure that floats in the main tank or attaches to the side of the tank for live bearers such as guppies? If so this would isolate the fish that is injured or possibly even the bully. The problem is that movement area would be greatly reduced and could actually cause more harm than good due to stress.

Like I said I don't know your fish and am just throwing out thoughts. While what I'm saying seems to make sense it could also be nonsense. Before long I'm sure that others with much more specific knowledge will chime in. Pay more attention to them then me.

<edit>
Looks like itiwhetu has already filled in on my lack.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back