Dwarf gourami spitting food back out

MGGFxMike

Reaction score
Hi there, I have 2 male Trichogaster dwarf Gouramis and a Oapline gouramis I've had problems with one of my drwaf gouramis one is spitting it's food back out after eating not sure why the other one seems fine.

The water parameters
Temperature 24C
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.6
I'm not sure if my tank is overstocked.

What do you feed and how much? Will you please upload photos of the fish?

Yeah if they are well fed they might just not be hungry , I see my fish spit out food regularly.... I have fat fish ahahaha

IMG_20210320_155458.jpg
IMG_20210320_154958.jpg
IMG_20210320_155043.jpg

These are the pictures they are the best I can get of them lol the one near the pump side near glass is the one who spits it out.

Variety is key when feeding fish, try good quality flakes, pellets, BugBites, worms, etc...

Hmm the fish food I use is 2 types.
Tetra color and Nt labs probiotic tropical color.

All my fish (and I have one tank of nearly all Gourami) do exactly the same thing. I'm guessing here, but it seems they do this 1. In order to break up a larger piece of food into smaller 2. The piece was just too big and that's the overflow coming out or 3. They didn't like what they were eating. Just like children and even some adult humans - their are just spitting pieces back out. No worries.

All my fish (and I have one tank of nearly all Gourami) do exactly the same thing. I'm guessing here, but it seems they do this 1. In order to break up a larger piece of food into smaller 2. The piece was just too big and that's the overflow coming out or 3. They didn't like what they were eating. Just like children and even some adult humans - their are just spitting pieces back out. No worries.
Thank you that has helped allot it seems they are very fussy eaters... Another note is it possible to have more than 2 dwarf males in the tank because there's one place I went to and she advised me no more than 2 dwarf/gouramis in my tank as it's ABIT to small for them just seems bare having 3 fish 2 gouramis and 1 male Oapline.

Yeah if they are well fed they might just not be hungry , I see my fish spit out food regularly.... I have fat fish ahahaha
My fish never used to spit out food, they ate until they couldn't swim. Even then they continued trying to eat. :)

------------------
I think Jan hit the nail on the head with this. Either they don't like the food, or it's too hard or too big for them to swallow.

Try breaking the food up into smaller bits and try frozen (but defrosted) foods and see if they prefer that.

------------------
It's preferable to only keep one species of labyrinth fish (Bettas and Gouramis) per tank. And try not to have more than one male because they are territorial and fight.

You have 2 species of gourami in the tank and the blue gourami at the back (with the black marks near the tail) will get a lot bigger than the dwarf gourami (red & blue striped). The blue gourami looks like a young female and if it is a female, you might be ok. But if it's a young male, they will fight when the blue one matures.

I just can't sex Gourami. I've read about the differences, but at least on my dwarf Gourami I see no differences - of course I guess I could have a tankful of all females. In my 3 yrs of keeping Gourami (they were my first fish) I have never seen two of them fight. They are all so agreeable and laid back they never fight - and as many as I've had (I lost nearly a dozen after a water change gone bad for some unknown reason - and have had to restock my gourami so I've had a lot of Gourami ) Now when I had a tank of regular sized Gourami I did witness some minor disagreements (I rehomed them since I didn't have a tank big enough to hold all of them) - but never have I seen a fight between two dwarf gourami. I've never even seen one push another one after some food they wanted. So if dwarf gourami males fight I must have always had tanks of females.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back