Dwarf Gourami sad?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dwurth2

Reaction score
I have 2 dwarf gouramis that were buds, always swimming together, peaceful. Yesterday I bought 1 gold gourami. After adding the gold to the tank, 1 of my dwarf gouramis started being a bully to the other dwarf- chasing it around the tank especially if it came close to the gold gourami. This morning, the dwarf gourami that was being a bully is not eating, is hiding in the plants instead if swimming around, and it’s coloring on its head is noticeably darker. Is it feeling jealous? Left out? What should a do, buy another dwarf so i will have 3 dwarfs and 1 gold so even pairs?

Mixing gourami species is never a good idea and golds are one of the colours of three spot gouramis, one of the most aggressive species. I would take the gold back to the shop. The gold may have been showing aggression to the one dwarf which is responding by picking on the other.

The two dwarfs - are they both males or a male and female? Dwarfs are also aggressive gouramis, and unless the tank is large only one male should be kept.

Is you bought more Gourami’s, it could cause more issues. Males are nasty to each other, especially if there are females in the tank.

I ‘think’ both dwarfs are females- I am new to keeping fish, so not certain.
Our tank is in our living room which I am in 90% of the day- I spent A LOT of time yesterday just watching the fish and I never once saw the gold show aggressive behavior- no chasing/nipping etc the dwarf that started bullying the other dwarf. The gold actually never really paid the bully dwarf attention at all. Could it be that maybe the dwarfs are both female and the gold is male so the dwarf is vying for attention from the male??? Is that even a thing that can happen?

Here are the gouramis- can you tell me if they are male or female?

Attachments

• DDE8DF5D-7817-4EA7-8AEF-965004895AC7.jpeg
    DDE8DF5D-7817-4EA7-8AEF-965004895AC7.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 1162C7D5-F2D5-4CFC-8008-41EC58B66419.jpeg
    1162C7D5-F2D5-4CFC-8008-41EC58B66419.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 90
  • D3251C69-7239-45F7-8088-298DCD85D9D9.jpeg
    D3251C69-7239-45F7-8088-298DCD85D9D9.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 95
Both of those dwarf gourami are males. I would rehome one, as it was only a matter of time before one of them ended up bullying the other. The gold gourami is male too, which is another factor that is working against these gouramis. This is a species that gets bigger than the dwarf gourami, and can be quite aggressive. I would only have one of these three gourami in the tank personally.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back