Dwarf gourami puffy and laying on side

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Snoyo1

Reaction score
Hi everyone Iā€™m not sure what to do. I noticed yesterday my gourami was quite puffy but other than that he was okay. I have a 60L tank with 8 neon tetras, 1 pleco (sucking catfish), 1 corydora( the other one died just a few days after I bought it from petbarn, and the dwarf gourami that is sick. I checked the water yesterday the ph was a bit high at 8.0, I donā€™t know why I always have issues with the ph going up too much, nitrite was 0, ammonia 0, nitrate was 5.0 and I did about a 30% water change. Iā€™ll add a picture of the gourami. Is it safe to use aquarium salt? Also I got rid of heaps of snails because I have too many and thought maybe that was the issue( probably not).

Attachments

• 17C5E69F-0FC7-45E1-A13D-4B12F456C004.jpeg
    17C5E69F-0FC7-45E1-A13D-4B12F456C004.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 71
Unfortunately, this isn't something that can be fixed, though at this point you can try.

Dwarf gouramis are often inflicted with all sorts of problems under the umbrella term Dwarf Gourami Disease. Bloating is one of the symptoms and is usually caused by organ failure. Its not preventable anymore and at this stage there isn't much helping.

You can try salt, but I cant say from experience itll be useful at this stage.
I lost my female to this very same thing too. It really, really sucks :( so im sorry you are going through it too

Unfortunately, this isn't something that can be fixed, though at this point you can try.

Dwarf gouramis are often inflicted with all sorts of problems under the umbrella term Dwarf Gourami Disease. Bloating is one of the symptoms and is usually caused by organ failure. Its not preventable anymore and at this stage there isn't much helping.

You can try salt, but I cant say from experience itll be useful at this stage.
I lost my female to this very same thing too. It really, really sucks :( so im sorry you are going through it too
Thank you for the reply. I just feel so bad. I hate seeing him suffer like this :( Iā€™m sorry you lost your female too.

Thank you for the reply. I just feel so bad. I hate seeing him suffer like this :( Iā€™m sorry you lost your female too.
It's a real shame. Super common fish that is inbred and abused frequently in the hobby. Sorry about your fish :(.

You could look at honey gourami. Pretty nice :). What anime is your pfp from?
Do honey gouramis have less issues?? I really need to buy a quarantine tank too and cycle it, I still donā€™t have one :/
Honestly I have no idea I just found it on google sorry haha :ā€™)

Do honey gouramis have less issues?? I really need to buy a quarantine tank too and cycle it, I still donā€™t have one :/
Honestly I have no idea I just found it on google sorry haha :ā€™)
Yea they are so much healthier. A little harder to find, but way nicer as well. You could get multiple, but yea you should wait for a QT.
I just asked because I've watched so many the characters blend together and she looked familiar lol.

Yea they are so much healthier. A little harder to find, but way nicer as well. You could get multiple, but yea you should wait for a QT.
I just asked because I've watched so many the characters blend together and she looked familiar lol.
Thanks for the advice I will look into honey gourami and yes once I have the other tank! Itā€™s too heartbreaking when they die I canā€™t deal with another death :/
Oh okay haha yeah Iā€™ve watched quite a few too :ā€™) I love your pic also, Garfield is one of my fav cartoons!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back