Video Dwarf Gourami nest!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hairy_Trev

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I decided to see if I could get dwarf gouramis to breed. In the main community tank they didn't seem to show much interest so I added a tethered, floating spawning mop to see if it would give him a head start in nesting...

It didn't!

So last week, I got various plants and stuck them in the ground of one of my small breeding/nursery tanks before transferring my male and female gouramis. They seemed very happy in there, even affectionate... no signs of bullying or stress but then on Friday night, I noticed the male seemed under the weather. He also showed 2 or 3 signs of possible injury or sores on his side. He died that night so I bought a replacement and put him in the small breeding tank with the female.

I will admit that really a larger tank than 22 litres should be used and I expected him to take a while to settle in, but tonight, only the day after buying him.. HE'S DEFINATELY BUILDING A NEST!!!

I've made sure there is some good feathery plants in a quiet corner of the tank, plus other bits of dislodged foliage gethered there.

He's checked out the venue for transport links, local schools etc and decided it's a suitable site. Now he pops up to the surface nearby, has a few gulps of air before diving back under the leaves to blow the bubbles into the area. Occasionally he bullies stray bits of leave into place with his interior decorating before going back to blowing bubbles!

My only worry right now is that he seems to be chasing the female away... is this normal? When he's finished his home building will he welcome her into his home? Or is it a case of not likingher and hoping a pretier lady will come along?

If I can get this right, I've uploaded a video of his activities... apologies for the dark and poor quality but it's something to see for now!!! (I hope!!!)

I'll keep you posted!

I decided to see if I could get dwarf gouramis to breed. In the main community tank they didn't seem to show much interest so I added a tethered, floating spawning mop to see if it would give him a head start in nesting...

It didn't!

Not surprised as Gouramis are bubble nesters.

So what are you going to do with the fry?
What are you going to feed them?

Im sorry I dont want to sound rude, but I do not think you are experienced enough to breed fish.

Not surprised as Gouramis are bubble nesters.

So what are you going to do with the fry?
What are you going to feed them?

Im sorry I dont want to sound rude, but I do not think you are experienced enough to breed fish.
How do you get experienced enough to do so? I think this is the way to experience things and to learn (don't know another way apart from reading and experiencing).

Chasing the female is quite normal. You'd better remove it when they've mated, cause otherwise the male might kill it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

How do you get experienced enough to do so?
Well the first thing I would do is at least google some basics like Gourami care and breeding before I tried it.

Here's a start, its the same for all Gouramis.
https://www.wikihow.com/Breed-Blue-Gouramis

Dwarf Gouramis are not worth keeping or breeding unless you know they are iridovirus free.

Well the first thing I would do is at least google some basics like Gourami care and breeding before I tried it.

Here's a start, its the same for all Gouramis.
https://www.wikihow.com/Breed-Blue-Gouramis

Dwarf Gouramis are not worth keeping or breeding unless you know they are iridovirus free.
Agree with that Nick.
Only thing is, he's allready started.
Agree with the virus-free fish as well.

What is the watertemperature ? These fish are triggered by higher temps.

82 f
Breeding of the Dwarf Gourami
Lowering the water level to 6 to 8 inches and raising the water temperature to 82 F will trigger spawning. Vegetation is essential as males build their bubble nest using plant material, which they binds together with bubbles. Nests are very elaborate and sturdy, reaching several inches across and an inch deep. For aquarium plants, Limnophila aquatica, Riccia fluitans, Ceratopteris thalictroides, and Vesicularia dubyana, are good choices for the breeding tank. You can also offer peat fiber as a building material.

Once the nest had been built, the male will begin courting the female usually in the afternoon or evening. He signals his intentions by swimming around the female with flared fins, attempting to draw her to the nest where he will continue his courting display.

If the female accepts the male, she will begin swimming in circles with the male beneath the bubble nest. When she is ready to spawn, she touches the male on either the back or the tail with her mouth.

Upon this signal the male will embrace the female, turning her first on her side and finally on her back. At this point, the female will release approximately five dozen clear eggs which are immediately fertilized by the male. Most of the eggs will float up into the bubble nest. Eggs that stray are collected by the male and placed in the nest. Once all the eggs are secured in the nest, the pair will spawn again.

If more than one female is present in the breeding tank, the male may spawn with all of them. The spawning sessions will continue for two to four hours and produce between 300 and 800 eggs. Upon completion, the male will place a fine layer of bubbles beneath the eggs, assuring that they remain in the bubble nest. At this point, the female(s) should be removed from the tank.

The male will then take sole responsibility for the eggs, aggressively defending the nest and surrounding territory. In 12 to 24 hours the fry will hatch and continue developing within the protection of the bubble nest. After three days they are sufficiently developed to be free swimming.

Remove the male from the tank once the fry has left the bubble nest or he may consume the young. Feed fry micro-food such as infusoria, rotifers, or commercial fry food for the first week. Then they can be fed freshly hatched brine shrimp and finely ground dry foods.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/dwarf-gourami-1378310

Sorry Nick, meand the actual temperature of OP's tank.

In my opinion DG's are kept too warm what, as said, triggers matingbehaviour and agression as a result.

First, can I thank Double Dutch for his comments and defense of my efforts... sorry NickAu, but I'm afraid I did find your comments to be rude, unsupportive and based on no foundation.

For your information, I've got back into fish keeping around four or five years ago. I began breeding swordtails and guppies which I know isn't exactly a challenge, and then had further success with Cherry Barbs and Zebra Danios which was my first definate attempt at egg layers.

I am perfectly aware that gouramis build bubble nests, which I think was apparent in my first post. I also make a point of reading up online about breeding habits and how to encourage spawning if I choose to attempt to breed.

The inclusion of a spawning mop in the main tank was to provide something which might provide a suitable location for him to start building as I had no floating plants there. Moving the fish to a separate tank, lowering the water and adding more suitable live plants has obviously improved the chances.

So thanks again to Dutch for his defence of my efforts... as you said, "Where does one gain experience if not by trying?"!!!!!

Oh yes... and I also agree with Dutch and have seen about removing the female after they've spawned as the male will want to defend the nest from ALL fish nearby. So... she will be removed first while he guards and then I'll take him out a few days later when fry start hatching, leaving the babies and nest in the breeding tank.
:)

Gouramis dont need spawning mops, heck they dont even need floating plants to build a bubble nest.

Gouramis dont need spawning mops, heck they dont even need floating plants to build a bubble nest.
Mwaaaa dwarfs love to use floatingplants in their nest. They'll tear up all kinds of plants for buildingmaterial.

Yes but if they dont have any plants to rip up they will still build a bubble nest without them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back