Dwarf Gourami---Is This A Female?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

twintanks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently purchased two blue dwarf gouramis as a pair, for my new tank. The male is definitely a male, with bold red stripes....but the picture here is supposed to be the female. From the pictures I've seen on the Net, the female should be blue-silver and presumably not have any red markings. The two fish are not fighting but the "female" certainly does appear rather dominant. Maybe she's just a bossy-boots. The photo isn't brilliant, but the blighters swim fast. Any thoughts on the colouring?
Here's an attempt at a closer view, below the first pic....

Attachments

• dwarfgourami.jpg
    dwarfgourami.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 798
  • gourami2.jpg
    gourami2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 725
Looks like a male to me 
But it's not unheard of for females to be a pretty (pale) colour. I have had two pairs and one of my females was a pale orange in colour on her back. Like the fire red ones are. And I know she was female as mine spawned. And her colour showed up before this happened . 
Just keep an eye on your fish and see what happens :D

Indeed, further observation would seem to be in order!

I had a pair with the stripes too and my female had feint striping. Just never had any colour :) 
Any chance of snapping a pic of the male. 
Or even getting a video that way I could pause and get a better look at the two :) 

Now, I've managed a video, but I'm having a devil of a job trying to get one uploaded to an independent website; have tried four this afternoon and they've all bombed out. In the meantime here's another pic of both fish....Dscf8015--2fish.jpg

My best guess would be a two males. This is based upon coloration and the size of the fins. As males get bigger anal and dorsal fins and have more colors than the females.

The thing is though that you're never really sure until they have fry together. As there are females that look suspiciously much like males and the other way around. Sadly, coloration isn't a very reliable indicator. Especially males often tend to look like females.

I'm starting to doubt now. As they are very tolerant to each other. Based on the colors and fins I would still go for male, but... I't a hard puzzle.

Still, you only really know when they have fry together.

Well well, this is interesting. I don't mind, myself, what he/she is...as long as they are happy. I've only had them four days, so can but wait and watch.

Wow this is just a mystery. 
But from their dorsal fins I'd say both are male. As they appear more pointed than a females should be. 
Only time could tell I guess! 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back