Dwarf Gourami Has Large Lump On One Side

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nicifrog

Reaction score
His stomach looks a little bloated. I didn't notice any strange behavior until recently. He always goes in the large pot in the tank and keeps to himself, because he is the only one of his kind in the tank. But recently it is taking him much longer to come out of the pot. Then yesterday I noticed his stomach looked a bit bloated, but one side is visibly larger then the other. I have a 29 gallon tank. 1 Dwarf Gourami, 4 Mollies (1 is a baby), 5 Platties (4 are babies), and one Rubber Lipped Pleco. I do not have water info yet, I am at work, but can provide later. I have not noticed any coloration on the lump, nor any signs of "pine-coned" gills. I did have 2 Gouramis at the start and one died of Dropsy. That was close to 4 months ago. This one has never shown any signs of illness until now. I read somewhere to give him peas and that might help if he is constipated. I don't have frozen, I only have canned. I put them in there but he seems to just spit them out after. I realized afterwards that canned peas contain additives... so hoping that doesn't make him worse! Any help will be great! I am about to go on vacation for 5 days tomorrow. :( I'd also appreciate it if someone had any ideas as to what I may be able to do for him while I am gone. I.E. Special meds, food instructions for the sitters.... anything really. Thanks!

Is there a better place to post this? I am concerned and need advice, let me know if this is not the right place.

What do you normally feed your fish?
I would try some frozen peas rather than canned.
Cook peas for a few minutes, let cool down, pop out of shell, mush between fingers into small peices, and add to the tank.
Is he still going to the toilet, if so what does it look like.
Epson salts baths help draw the fluids out.

The lump is it hard or soft liked filled with fluid.

I can't really tell if the lump is solid or not. How do you tell that? It's not any particular color. The only 2 symptoms seem to be that and lethargy. He's keeping to himself inside this big pot. It's hard to even see what he is doing in there. I did notice one of our platy fry had a nice sized chunk taken out of its tail fin. Not sure who to blame for that... although I am thinking it could be the grumpy gourami.

Regarding the epsom salt baths. Is there a link to tell me how exactly to do this and for how long?

Thanks Wilder! I will try that when I get home today. Hopefully I can save him.
Will keep you posted on his outcome. Unfortunately it's happening at a time when I am leaving town for a few days...

Most reactions

Back