Dwarf Gourami Bachelor

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I'd really like to get a dwarf gourami but i don't think he'd do well in my current tank or the two tanks i have in the works. i'm thinking of getting a smaller tank just for him and maybe two adfs or something. whats the smallest tank a single dwarf gourami could happily live in by himself? will he be fine alone or with just a ocuple of frogs as tankmates?

I'd say something around the 3 gallon range would keep a Dwarf happy. Of course larger is always better, but 3 is probably minimum. I think he might pick at the ADF's at first, but eventually leave them alone and they'd be great tankmates. My Dwarf was very interested in the ADF intitally, he poked around at him, but they're buddies now. Dwarf Gouramis are really just curious fish. :rolleyes: I'm so excited that you want to get one - they're some of my favorite fish, I LOVE them. :D I'm about ready to go get another actually, I'm not happy having my newer tank without one. :p Have fun picking one out, they come in such beautiful colors. If you spend a little time watching them in the tanks at your lfs, you can probably find one with a laid back personality - if you worry about him pickin on any tankmates. They all are very unique, just like their relative, the betta! (Who I know you like.. hehe)

thanks juliethegr8t. i've been wanting one for a month or so. i love to watch them at the lfs, especially how they use their feeler things to reach out to stuff. i can't recall, do dwarf gouramis need caves or any hiding places other than plants? i really want either a regular dg or a royal blue/powder blue dg. have enough red fish, need some blue in my life. :D

I don't think caves are a necessity for them, though some like it. It probably depends on your fish. One of mine hardly left his pot, he loved it so much, and the other one I have just occasionally hangs out in it. However, both did spend some time in it overall, so maybe some shelter would be a good idea. Plants may be fine though - it's up to you!

I love the blue gouramis, let me know what color you end up choosing! I had a neon blue - I just think they're striking. The blue is a more greenish color on these guys than on normal DG's, and I really like it. Some people prefer the lighter, silverish color of the powders though. Sheesh, I don't know what color I'll end up getting when I get another, I love them all.

the only trouble I had with Blue Gouramis was that 3 of them grew by leaps and bounds and became the terror of my 55 gal tank. I literally wrecked the tank getting them out and selling back to the store. Now I have a dwarf and all is peaceful again.

Mike

Just to clear things up, when I said blue gouramis I meant the dwarf variety :), since that's what we've been discussing.

Based on what I've been reading about Gouramis, 10-15 gallons (40-60 liters) is the recommended minimum for the smaller Gouramis like Dwarf and Honey.

Sinuhe said:
Based on what I've been reading about Gouramis, 10-15 gallons (40-60 liters) is the recommended minimum for the smaller Gouramis like Dwarf and Honey.
I'd agree with that.

:-( the dwarf gouramis near my place are all males... the owner said he doesn't stock females as they are unpopular... gotta find some other place to get it :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back